Porta-Jib Explorer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms

Old November 14th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #1
Wrangler

Porta-Jib Explorer

I saw this system at HD Expo the other week and was duly impressed. The Losmandy folks have always had top notch machining coupled with innovative concepts, and this system shows some really clever thinking. It's a high-performing jib that can rotate sideways to become a slider system; the central support incorporates their articulated leg design as originally seen in their Spider dolly (these were the first guys to use the widely-copied flexible track concept). Other clever features include an optional bucket that allows you to use whatever you have on hand as counterweight, such as bricks or dirt, which makes traveling with the jib much easier. There's so many configuration possibilities with their design that I couldn't quite fathom it all, it's really more like an erector set.

I'm sure that others will come along and knock off this design as happened with the Spider dolly; recently I read a post from someone who claimed that one of said knockoffs was "better" than the original, which he justified by saying it was cheaper (hmmm). There's a false economy when your gear starts to fall apart and customer support is spotty--you really wouldn't want a jib to drop your camera or fall on someone)--so in this case, spending a bit more and going with the original is a smart investment as you will be assured good design and materials.

It's definitely worth watching the video on the site to see what this unit can do.

Porta-Jib EXPLORER by Losmandy
Old November 22nd, 2009, 09:00 AM   #2
Major Player

Wow!

Very nice looking product! I really like that slider trolly setup!

To bad it will not hold more weight though.... I went with the Longvalley 7jib because it could handle my RED,,, and I'm very happy with it. But the ability to convert to a slider would be very nice.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms