Kessler pocket Jib & dolly combo at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 22nd, 2009, 09:16 PM   #1
Trustee

Kessler pocket Jib & dolly combo

Guess what just arrived via courier - purchased on the 17th, advised by UPS on the 18th and here it is on the 23rd.

I think I'll have some lunch and have a little play!
Old November 23rd, 2009, 11:36 PM   #2
Trustee

you know when you get a new car and you just can't help wandering outside and fiddling with knobs & buttons?

I keep doing that with the jib, it's set up in the garage and I must be out there 5 times a day.

I've got DIY jib thats been good but it just doesnt make it on so many levels now.

The K-Pod extremely sturdy and quick to set up with the swivel mount. it's just a super heavy duty tripod and means I can level the jib easily in any location.

The Pocket Jib is well engineered and a delight to use. it's an easy 1 person set up and feels really solid. With my Canon XH-A1 and fluid head on the front and 15lb of weight on the back at full extension it's smooth. There are drag adjustments on the jib & mount but I'm happy with the movement as is, maybe with a much lighter camera it might be useful.

The dolly is also well engineered and finished and comes mounted to the jib so you can use both simply by switching the camera. It adds weight so unless you have a specific requirement I'd tend to leave them seperate. The unique thing about the kessler dolly / slider is the crank handle. I think it's a way to get extra slow smooth movements but it has it's own problems - not with the mechanics of the unit, more the mechanics of the human arm. you have to practice with the crank handle to get smooth movement as, at least initially you get 'fast/slow/fast/slow' movement. I think it's just as matter of practice.

overall I'm delighted with the purchase - I'll be running a few camera tests this week and it's out on the job on Friday.
Old November 24th, 2009, 02:16 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mailath View Post
The unique thing about the kessler dolly / slider is the crank handle. I think it's a way to get extra slow smooth movements but it has it's own problems - not with the mechanics of the unit, more the mechanics of the human arm. you have to practice with the crank handle to get smooth movement as, at least initially you get 'fast/slow/fast/slow' movement. I think it's just as matter of practice.
I'll pass on an operating tip from a similar device: the gearhead. The trick to achieving consistent turns is to rotate your hand from your wrist while working the crank, rather than using your whole arm. If you are doing it correctly, your elbow and forearm should stay in the same place. This much smaller motion should help unify the rotational speed. Give it a try and report back!
Old November 24th, 2009, 10:34 PM   #4
Sponsor: Kessler Crane

Hi Paul! Glad to hear everything is working out. Look forward to seeing some footage. Cheers!
Old November 25th, 2009, 04:27 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
I'll pass on an operating tip from a similar device: the gearhead. The trick to achieving consistent turns is to rotate your hand from your wrist while working the crank,
works like a charm! I can have the dolly on a 45 degree angle and ever so slowly move the camera up - and using the winder with my finger as a brake let it slide down again.

I'm still working on the 'limp wrist' action but it certainly makes a huge improvement. If I start listening to Babera Streisand and wearing pink - I'll sue!

Chris - thanks for all your help, it's a delight to deal with companies with a great customer service ethic.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms