Question about Porta-Jib options... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms

Old October 19th, 2010, 12:02 AM   #1
New Boot

Question about Porta-Jib options...

For a year or so I've been renting the Porta-Jib Traveller from my local rental shop and I've come to the conclusion that I rent it enough that it makes more sense for me to buy. I've done a bunch of research and read about other options but I'm familiar with the build of the Porta-Jib and I'm leaning toward going in that direction for my purchase.

I'm trying to decide between the "Standard" and the "Traveller" and was wondering if anyone has experience with both and if so, do you have an opinion. Shooting in tight spaces/offices makes me lean toward the Traveller but I also like the idea of having room to grow and with the "Standard" you can add the extensions.

Given my budget, I should just get the Traveller, but I'm wondering if I'll regret not having that extra length a few years down the line? I shoot with the EX1 and more and more with DSLRs so weight isn't really an issue. I don't plan to fly with it much so that's not a big factor either. I may want to rent it out eventually though so that's a consideration.

I also need tripod legs and a dolly just for moving it to the next shot. I'm hoping there's an inexpensive option that someone can recommend.

Sorry for the long post. If you got this far and have some thoughts I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Max
Max Fancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 10:30 PM   #2
New Boot

How about the Porta-Jib Explorer?

Didn't get a reply about the Standard vs. the Traveller and now I'm leaning toward the Explorer. Does anyone use the Explorer system and if so, can you give me your thoughts on how it performs for you?

Thanks,

Max
Max Fancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 11:31 AM   #3
Sponsor: SkyCrane

Many Choices...

Hello Max,

Bob Jones here from Skycrane...

Max, can't say I know anything of the Standard or Traveller and seeing you've not had a response on your post...
Thought I'd offer up a look at something that perhaps may be a solution for you... If not, I may be able to direct you to a a jib manufacturer that can.

http://web.me.com/skycrane

Max, if you have any questions, please feel free to give me a call...

Regards...
Bob Jones

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms