small, quick ,portable jib reccomendation? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms

Old December 5th, 2010, 11:00 PM   #16
Regular Crew

What about the Kessler KC Lite 8. It look to be a bit sturdier than the Cobra Crane Backpacker, and it's only $400. I know it's what a few adventure film makers that I know of use. Seem to be a pretty good options for needing something lightweight and portable, but still sturdy and capable, as long as you're using a pretty lightweight camera.

Kessler Crane™ - Quality Professional Camera Cranes, Camera Jib & Camera Support Products - KC-Lite Packages
Old December 6th, 2010, 11:45 PM   #17
Major Player

Hi Ben,

I don't own a KC Lite 8, but being an owner of a Kessler 8/5ft Crane, I can definitely say that Kessler's quality is very good.

But Bruce's original thread required that the crane be set up quickly and have some portability (which the regular Kessler Cranes are not; least which you can't put in a backpack anyway :)

But the KC Lite 8 does have a pretty good price tag on it.

Best,
Old December 9th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Hey Jeff,

I don't know how small the KC Lite 8 breaks down to, since I don't have one yet. Hopefully I will soon. BUt like I said, I know of a few other adventure film makers that use one for their work. And a lot of time they hiking into shooting location and carrying everything on their back. So I would assume it's not to heinous to transport.

Hopefully I'll have on in the near future, and can speak first hand.

Cheers,
Ben
Old December 16th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #19
Major Player

I was in the same boat recently. I looked at the KC Lite, but ultimately decided to get the Glidecam Camcrane 200, instead. (I used to own an Advanta-Jib, which I loved, but took longer to assemble on location than I now need.) I made the trek to the hardware store after doing a test-assembly, to purchase knobs to replace the bolts the unit came with. Now, it's pretty quick to assemble, though I do wish it had some form of brake, but I can't really complain for the $539 price (B+H). Well worth the purchase. (and I could use it with an existing set of legs -- the KC Lite would mean buying an additional head.)

Here's the first video we shot with it. Jib used in the first three shots.

YouTube - 2011 Nissan Altima 3.5 SR Review Roadtrip
Ryan Douthit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 01:18 PM   #20
Major Player

Hi Ryan,

Nice video, thanks for sharing!

How'd you get the jib inside the Nissan :) I guess the Camcrane 200 really is very portable!

Best,
Old December 27th, 2010, 03:38 PM   #21
Sponsor: SkyCrane

Easy Tott'n

Hello Bruce,

Bob Jones here from Skycrane.

Bruce, if I can be of any assistance in helping you make a choice for a jib that is easily transported... I'd be delighted to help you. Today, there are many choices for jibs... some good, some not so good.

I've been building jibs for twelve years and in the past I've built several custom jibs for folks that were traveling the world...
For lack of a better name... I call it the BAK-PAC-R

bob@skycrane.com or cell (949) 205-9451

Best Regards
Old December 27th, 2010, 05:55 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Ryan,

What tripod are you using with your Camcrane?
Matt Portwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 03:56 AM   #23
Trustee

Bob,Thankis for the info. I already bought the Cobra crane back paker, which I'm pretty happy with. For future reference, do you have a web site with info on yours? Also how much is it?
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 12:47 PM   #24
Sponsor: SkyCrane

EZ tott'n

Hello again Bruce,

Thanks for your reply.

Glad to hear you've found a jib that fufills your needs...

Bruce, this is my Mac website... http://web.me.com/skycrane

This is the original Skycrane website... Skycrane Booms - the mini DV camera Boom
The original site has not been upgraded in some time, however, I'll be making some improvements on it soon with new footage showing set-up, function and different techniques using the Skycrane.

Bruce, prices range from $549.00 to $2150.00

If I can be of any help to you in the future... please don't hesitate to drop me a line.

Best Regards...
Bob Jones

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms