DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Jibs / Cranes / Booms (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jibs-cranes-booms/)
-   -   Polecam starter pack (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jibs-cranes-booms/501046-polecam-starter-pack.html)

Warren Kawamoto September 25th, 2011 08:58 PM

Polecam starter pack

Has anyone tried this unit? Since most of my cameras are smallish in size, I'm thinking of selling my Jimmy jib and getting one of these. The thing I'm not too comfortable about is that the head hangs by gravity alone, meaning that any breeze could make it swing. The other thing is the price.

Chris Soucy September 25th, 2011 10:56 PM

Re: Polecam starter pack

Er, Links, Warren?

CS

Warren Kawamoto September 26th, 2011 12:53 AM

Sorry Chris, I just assumed everyone knew about polecam since it's been around for decades now. In the past, mini cameras were used. The starter pack for larger size cameras is something new.
Polecam portable crane mini HD cameras 3D broadcast equipment

Buba Kastorski September 26th, 2011 06:58 AM

I was thinking to get a set with the body harness, but after I calculated how much counterweight has to be used I left that idea; and if tripod is used I don't see any advantages of using wobbly carbon pipes instead of metal construction, plus for $10K you can probably get something better, take a llok @ Advantajib for example

Warren Kawamoto September 26th, 2011 12:39 PM

Buba, have you actually used a polecam? Is your comment based on actual user experience, or theory? How wobbly was your footage? Just asking because I was contacted privately by 2 polecam owners that aren't registered on dvinfo, but they did say the CF poles do not flex. It is also my understanding that new poles are now being used with the starter pack that are even sturdier to handle additional weight.

I did get a chance to try the older polecam several years ago at NAB, and was impressed with how smooth the pans and tilts were with their joystick control. At the same time, I also tried the Advantajib, but I didn't care for the cable control of the pans, it was not smooth enough for my taste. In addition, the tilt and pan had two different feels, which made it very difficult for me to do coordinated combination moves smoothly.

Buba Kastorski September 26th, 2011 02:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
do not flex? I don't think so, but even if they wouldn't I don't see anything I would pay $10K , BUT
I never tried the product and all this is just my horrible opinion :)
I use HF G10 and sometimes EX1 on 12ft ProAm crane, it takes me a bit over 5 min to set it up and about the same to pack it back to the bag, i'm planning to add a motorized head, but with that because of additional weight I will be probably limited to G10, it is not the best jib, but it's around $500 and with some experience it does the job :)
here some clips shot with G10 on ProAm jib

Demo On ExposureRoom

Martin Yee October 11th, 2011 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto (Post 1684622)
Has anyone tried this unit? Since most of my cameras are smallish in size, I'm thinking of selling my Jimmy jib and getting one of these. The thing I'm not too comfortable about is that the head hangs by gravity alone, meaning that any breeze could make it swing. The other thing is the price.

What Jimmy Jib do you have? What size and condition? Price? Please include pictures please. A friend of mine may be interested.

Warren Kawamoto October 12th, 2011 03:06 AM

I'm not ready to sell my Jimmy Jib yet (24ft), as I'm still researching the Polecam and have some issues with it.

1. I was using a Sony EX1 with a modified tripod plate on my JJ. I was able to attach the iris and focus servos, allowing me full control of zoom, focus, and iris, and start/stop remotely. If I go with Polecam, I would be limited to a DSLR, with no or very limited capability for iris, zoom, focus, start/stop. I would also be stuck with the limitations that DSLRs present (ie overheating, limited shooting time per take) If I decided to add a small Toshiba camera + CCU to the system instead of a DSLR, I could be spending $30K total to get up and running.

2. Polecam head hangs by gravity alone. This is a pro and con at the same time. A hanging head is self leveling and much lighter than a traditional parallelogram design, but is prone to swaying in a breeze or fast pan.

3. Adding other accessories to Polecam is very expensive.

So at this point I'm still looking, but after weighing the pros and cons, I may just live with what I already have.

Warren Kawamoto October 15th, 2011 02:59 AM

This is a great tutorial for all jib operators!
Polecam FLYING LESSONS - YouTube

The beginning of the video also reveals the swaying in the wind I was concerned about, something a Jimmy Jib doesn't do.