DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Jibs / Cranes / Booms (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jibs-cranes-booms/)
-   -   Glideshot 5' Tilting Jib, thoughts? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jibs-cranes-booms/505949-glideshot-5-tilting-jib-thoughts.html)

Mark Kenfield March 8th, 2012 07:14 AM

Glideshot 5' Tilting Jib, thoughts?

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a portable jib (needs to be able to fit in old 3-series beemer), and I've stumbled across the Glideshot jibs: products_camerajib

I've heard lots of great reviews for their 4' jib, and it certainly looks like a great option for basic jib movements.

But ideally I'd prefer to have some tilting control, and their 5' tilting jib seems like the sort of thing I want - I haven't been able to find any reviews or feedback on their tilting version though, so I was wondering if anyone is familiar with them and could comment on how they perform?

Cheers

Dylan Couper March 9th, 2012 03:42 PM

Re: Glideshot 5' Tilting Jib, thoughts?

Never heard of them, but have a used and abused a lot of jibs. I'd worry about failure with extended use. Hard to make something that lasts and sell it for $150. Materials look thin and Home Depot sourced (not that that's always a bad thing). If it's for very casual use, it may do the job. The design is pretty standard for what you get in that range.

Mark Kenfield March 11th, 2012 09:43 PM

Reviews on their 4' mini-jib are all very positive in regards to build quality and smoothness, so I'm not too worried about that.

My original thought was towards the Kessler Crane KC-Lite, which has the option to use both an 8' and an additional 5.5' length (which would be more manageable indoors. But for $200, I think this is probably a decent way to get started (assuming their tilting model works as well as their regular 4' model does).

I really am quite taken by the notion of basically a 2 minute setup time (throw it on the tripod, clip on your camera, pop some weights on the back), that speed and ease to setup vertical shots would see me use a fair few more of them I suspect.

Mark Williams March 12th, 2012 07:53 AM

I have been using the 4 foot Glideshot for about a year. It is a great value and built a little better than I thought it would be. No problems in use except a little side to side wobble on closeup shots. I think you would find this in most single arm jibs. This can be mitigated with a finer touch. Mine quick connects to a Davis/Sanford heavy duty tripod via Manfrotto 501PL plate and 577 quick connect adaptor. I replaced the 501PL mounting screw with a bolt and nut to attach to the Glideshot . You MUST have a tripod that can handle the weight. Mine is rated for 35 lbs. and is very sturdy. Plan on counter weight of about 3 x the weight of your camera. So if you have a 5lb. cam then 15 lbs. of counter weight. I wouldn't use a camera weighing much more than this with the Glideshot. If you are mostly using the jib inside or on flat surfaces get a dolly kit for your tripod which would really help in various setups. To fine tune balance I use a Super Clamp that I can move back and forth along the rail. I use my camera remote control to start/stop the camera so as to not introduce any unwanted movement.

Mark Kenfield March 12th, 2012 08:16 AM

Thanks kindly for the review Mark. How do you find the lack of a tilting function on the 4' jib?

Part of me thinks it should be a necessity for vertical jib/crane movements, but the other part of me thinks that for speed and simplicity's sake, perhaps a simple up-and-down little jib is the way to go for starters - and that I should simply rent proper cranes when I need proper cranes.

Mark Williams March 12th, 2012 09:56 AM

I have a small non-fluid head on the jib that I use to get the desired angle. As far as being able to tilt or pan in addition to the normal jib movements, I don't have a need for it. Plus this jib is probably too lightweight for it to work optimally with a decent head which would add more weight. When I was looking to buy a jib, I really wanted to just try one out to see if it fit my shooting style. The Glideshot fit that purpose. For the type work I do and with the camera I have, I can't see the benefit of sinking a lot of money in a high-end jib.

Robert Jones March 12th, 2012 11:42 AM

Howdy, Bob Jones here... Not supposed to advertise here... Maybe I'll get away with it one time. That being said and reading of your dilemma in terms of a small vehicle... You may want to check out the Skycrane 4'X4'-8' jib. Transports easily in a small vehicle... I can testify to that.
SKYCRANE

Mark Williams March 12th, 2012 12:23 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Mark, here are some photos of my rig. Another good thing about a short jib is you can use your camera LCD screen for framing. BTW the first time I used it I was hanging out over a small waterfall. It was a little scary.

Dylan Couper March 12th, 2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kenfield (Post 1720348)
Reviews on their 4' mini-jib are all very positive in regards to build quality and smoothness, so I'm not too worried about that.

My original thought was towards the Kessler Crane KC-Lite, which has the option to use both an 8' and an additional 5.5' length (which would be more manageable indoors. But for $200, I think this is probably a decent way to get started (assuming their tilting model works as well as their regular 4' model does).

FWIW, I own 5 jibs and the Kessler is my least favorite of them. I don't hate it, I just don't love it. I'd probably roll the dice on the first one you were looking at before buying another.