Kessler KC5.5 or Pocket Jib at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms

Old July 12th, 2012, 01:50 AM   #1
Tourist

Kessler KC5.5 or Pocket Jib

Since I'm new to the forum and value your opinions, I thought I asked my first question about a Jib purchase. I'm interested in doing Product Videos where the camera glides around the product revealing details. It appears that the only effective way I can accomplish this is through the use of a fluid head mounted camera at the end of a jib. Unfortunately like most of us I have a limited budget available for the purchase of a crane/jib. I find the Kessler products very attractive both in quality and price. Since I would like my purchase to function both as a close-up Jib and yet have the expansion capability of a crane I am caught between two products. The Kessler Pocket Jib pushes beyond my budget when you add in a KPod, Hercules Head and accessories, however purchasing their KC5.5 or KC8 package with a Ball Re-locator and Ball Kit work within my limits. Will the KC5.5 configuration provide the flexibility I'm looking for? Putting aside the Pocket Dolly -- What will I gain and/or lose with this decision? Will I be fooling myself by trying to make a KC5.5 function as a Pocket Jib?

Last edited by Lowell Schlef; July 12th, 2012 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Incorrect title
Lowell Schlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 02:50 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Kessler KC5.5 or Pocket Jib

You don't need a K-Pod and Hercules head with the PocketJib.

Mine lives just fine on a regular Vinten tripod with a 100mm bowl.
I really recommend the PocketJib, one of the best investments I ever did.

Here is some of my BTS:

Frank Glencairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 12:26 AM   #3
Tourist

Thanks Frank for your response. I particularly enjoyed viewing your Demo Reel.
The more I see the Kessker Pocket Jib In action the more driven I am to acquiring one. I realize it's an overkill for the K-Pod with the Hercules Head but I have plans for using the K-Pod with other camera setups in both my limited space studio and in the field. That is why Kessler package for the KC5.5 is so attractive. I cannot find a benefit and limitation comparison between both so I wanted the opinions of guys who use one or both of them. The Pocket Jib looks solid for doing studio product videos but if the KC5.5 can be configured to work as a Jib and and can be extended as an 8 to 10 foot crand in the field, then I can gain the best of both worlds. Where you think?
Thanks
Lowell
Lowell Schlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #4
Major Player

You may also want to look into a compact jib that Cartoni have just released, it's called the 'Jibo' I think. Looks like another solid alternative.
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 11:24 AM   #5
Inner Circle

One drawback of the K-Pod is that it has a flat surface, rather than a ball socket. This makes it solid for supporting a jib but it doesn't make it handy for use with other heads. I have a K-Pod, track, Pocket Jib, and Vinten sticks and 3AS head - as well as a Pocket Dolly. I'd love to be able to mount the Vinten head and/or Pocket Dolly on the K-Pod, but I'd need some sort of an adapter to make that happen.

The K-Pod is heavy and it doesn't go low, but it's amazingly stout. That's why I'd love to be able to mount my 3AS on it!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms