Stanton Jimmy Jib III test at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms

Old February 12th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #1
Trustee

Stanton Jimmy Jib III test

I pulled out my old 1995 Jimmy Jib III (this was the model before the Triangle) and fired it up with an EX1. I did some tests doing side to side arcs, and floor to ceiling booms. The motors are still responsive, but I'm a bit rusty having not used it for 2 years.

There seems to be tons of newer and cheaper pan and tilt systems on the market now, but I've never seen anything comparable in quality to the Jimmy Jib. Maybe it's time for a new rig. Could someone please post footage from their rig, uncut? I would love to see how the newer systems compare on pans and tilts, especially the starts and stops. The footage was not planned, I simply whipped the camera back and forth and up and down a couple of times, so there are some bobbles and bumps. I would love to see footage from Kessler, Pro Aim, or Cine City.
Stanton Jimmy Jib III pan and tilt test - YouTube
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Stanton Jimmy Jib III test

Nice shots. Nothing like setting up an obnoxiously large piece of pro film gear in your living room! :D
Old February 14th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #3
Trustee

Actually, it's not that bad. Packed up, everything fits into a broom closet. The biggest pieces are the dolly and tripod. Everything else breaks down into 3 foot sections.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 07:37 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
Actually, it's not that bad. Packed up, everything fits into a broom closet. The biggest pieces are the dolly and tripod. Everything else breaks down into 3 foot sections.
And you can even put your talent into the closet with the rig until you need them again. ;-) They put a smile on my face for sure. Oh, and the footage looked pretty good to me.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms