Camera Crane / Jib at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 30th, 2006, 12:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Camera Crane / Jib

Hi all,
Not sure if this is in the right forum or not (mods feel free to relocate if necessary), but I've searched on this topic and really didn't find the answer...maybe I didn't look long enough, but...
I am trying to decide between a ProAm DVC250 and a more expensive 12' Kessler Crane to use with my Sony PD170 and/or Canon GL2.

Has anyone actually bought and/or used one of the ProAm jibs that are sold on Ebay?

Any input/experience will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old January 31st, 2006, 08:02 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Pro Am Crane

I too have been 'looking' at the ProAm crane and had questions about it. I sent an email to Budget Camera -I guess they're the reps/contractors/distributors of the crane--about whether it would work with my tripod which is a Manfrotti 503 head & sticks........the reply was "it should".......but in they description of weight distribution for the crane it doesn't seem like it would.....
Anyone else out there have any comments/suggestions/ideas?
Many thanks
Pat
Pat Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 09:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I received a prompt and professional response from Kessler Crane stating that my bogen 3046 shouldn't have any problem supporting their 8' crane, but that it might be a bit light for their 12' crane.

So FWIW, at least Kessler seems to know a bit more about equipment, and is a bit more customer focused. But I'd still like to know if anyone on here has actually usded the ProAm stuff. at least Bargain Camera does have a good feedback rating on Ebay...and many have purchased their cranes.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 04:17 PM   #4
Trustee

ProAm DVC200 Camera Crane

I have just received ProAm DVC200 Camera Crane from Bargain-Camera. My first impression is that this is a very nice and sturdy crane. I use it with a Canon XL2 camcorder attached and a Miller Arrow HD head/tripod system. The crane has a easy and quick set up and adding approx. 20 lb of counterweight gives me a nice balance when operating the crane. The price is nice and I will strongly recommend it.

- Per Johan

Last edited by Per Johan Naesje; February 23rd, 2006 at 02:05 AM.
Per Johan Naesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 04:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info Johan.

FWIW I went with the 8' Kesslercrane with a Bescor motorized pan/tilt head and absolutely love it. Well built, solid as a rock, and smooth as silk operation. I'll eventually buy the extension to give me the option of using either a 12' or 8' crane.
Old March 6th, 2006, 09:16 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Frank,
What camera did you use with the Bescor head? I asked Eric about it but with the XL2 and he said it would not be strong enough to raise the camera after a tilt. He did say that he had heard that you might be able to double the battery power and that woulld do the trick, but could not guarantee this would not burn out the motor. Any thoughts.
Rob
Rob Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 09:24 PM   #7
Major Player

I bought their $200 crane and used it for a cliff shot -- the cliff wasn't so good but I liked the crane. It took a couple of times to get what I wanted, but I'll definitely use it again. I'm not the pickiest or most experienced videographer, though, so take that for what it's worth. The manual tilt control takes some getting used to, you might get the one up from mine.
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 10:33 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Mitchell
Hi Frank,
What camera did you use with the Bescor head? I asked Eric about it but with the XL2 and he said it would not be strong enough to raise the camera after a tilt. He did say that he had heard that you might be able to double the battery power and that woulld do the trick, but could not guarantee this would not burn out the motor. Any thoughts.
Rob
I put either my GL2 or my PD170 on there. The PD170 is a bit heavier, I haven't had any problems yet...but I've only used it a couple times since I just got it. I really am satisified with this setup for these particular cameras, but not sure how the head would handle anything heavier. I'll let you know if I run into any problems down the road.
Old November 7th, 2006, 12:26 PM   #9
New Boot

Update?

Hi Frank,
I was searching the archives and came across this thread. I am curious to hear how this worked out for you. I have a PD150 and am considering buying some Bogen 3046 legs I stumbled across in an antique store (of all places!) for $85! I haven't looked into cranes yet, but your post indicates that you can use the legs to mount a crane, too?

Thanks!
Tony
Tony Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #10
New Boot

Just used DVC 250

Hi all! New to DVi and have really enjoyed your share knowledge. After doing a lot of head scratching I finally bought a Pro Am DVC 250. Now, before I go any further, I would strongly recomend the Kessler Cranes. I talked with a helpful gent there and I am convinced they are the way to go with a solid crane, especially if you are depending on a live shot. Expect to sink about $1500 with crane and tripod. I am new to craning and after sinking 8 grand into two A1's I was feeling it. So, the next one in my sites was the DVC. Out of the box (with a steady hand and patience to retake the shot) it is a great alternative. Solid enough with their stand. I would emphasize that it is for shots that you can retake and it takes a steady hand. However, I was bold enough to use it at a wedding last weekend and got some very nice shots. So, my contribution to the topic is, if you want a budget crane, DVC 250 ain't bad to get damn close to a semi-pro look. Check it out at this link. Beware that this is unedited footage but also keep in mind this is only the second time I have had the camera in the air. Comments welcomed! Quicktime required.

http://homepage.mac.com/mclarenf1/temp/niki.htm
Old June 15th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I've been using the 12' Kessler on some old Panasonic legs w/Tripod dolly. NO problems.

Here are 4 videos I recently did for our local Chamber of Commerce, theres some crane shots in these. There low res for web streaming but you'll get the idea. FYI - I directed, shot, and produced all these videos and composed/recorded the music too:

http://www.omahachamber.org/work/Des...onMidtown.aspx
Old July 27th, 2007, 04:22 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Pietrantoni View Post
I've been using the 12' Kessler on some old Panasonic legs w/Tripod dolly. NO problems.

Here are 4 videos I recently did for our local Chamber of Commerce, theres some crane shots in these. There low res for web streaming but you'll get the idea. FYI - I directed, shot, and produced all these videos and composed/recorded the music too:

http://www.omahachamber.org/work/Des...onMidtown.aspx
Very good stuff, Frank! Do you have any further experience with your crane to share?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms