cable rig clip - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 3rd, 2006, 11:57 AM   #16
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Fisk
Awesome shots!

Check out http://www.garrettcam.com/ for some more ideas. I love the clip from the tropical resort flying off the deck and over the pools. Looks like most of his rigs are a looped line vs a single strand. His fly cam is the ultimate in 3d positioning and gets a lot of use in Superbowl type events. $100,000 per hour LOL. Nice toys!
Skycam is the the rig that uses 3-4 cables for variable positioning; Flycam is just point-to-point. I got to operate Skycam for the '96 Olympics, it was a lot of fun. Where did you get that $100,000 figure???!
Old December 3rd, 2006, 05:36 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert
Where did you get that $100,000 figure???!
I'm sure I was thinking day-rate!

So you got to fly one of these? Cool. That's got to be rare. Is it joystick controlled or can you program moves like a big ol moco?
Jay Fisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 08:23 PM   #18
Wrangler

It is indeed joystick controlled and a two-man operation. The operator works the camera functions of pan/tilt with one joystick and zoom and focus with another. The pilot has a x/y joystick and another for z, if I remember correctly . In the intervening years since I used it I'm sure the interface has become more sophisticated, but at least then the pilot had a monitor that showed a graphical representation of the flying space, which has to be programmed in to avoid collisions, i.e. the "floor" and "ceiling" as your minimum and maximum height, and "walls" for the outer perimeter of the flyable area. If there are obstructions in the middle of the space such as lighting or sound towers, those are built into the flying space so that the rig cannot collide with them, and this may also limit other areas if the cables were affected by this obstruction also.

The operator and pilot work together to fly the camera through space to achieve the desired shot. It's a fun collaboration.

The version I used did not have programmable moves but I am quite sure it does now.

The day rate is not all that alarming--at one time it was $10K a day but I imagine that as it has become more commonplace that the day rate has dropped. Many stadiums have semi-permanent installations of the winches and cables which makes it a lot cheaper than the pre-rig necessary for a one-off show.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 08:23 PM   #19
Wrangler

It is indeed joystick controlled and a two-man operation. The operator works the camera functions of pan/tilt with one joystick and zoom and focus with another. The pilot has a x/y joystick and another for z, if I remember correctly . In the intervening years since I used it I'm sure the interface has become more sophisticated, but at least then the pilot had a monitor that showed a graphical representation of the flying space, which has to be programmed in to avoid collisions, i.e. the "floor" and "ceiling" as your minimum and maximum height, and "walls" for the outer perimeter of the flyable area. If there are obstructions in the middle of the space such as lighting or sound towers, those are built into the flying space so that the rig cannot collide with them, and this may also limit other areas if the cables were affected by this obstruction also.

The operator and pilot work together to fly the camera through space to achieve the desired shot. It's a fun collaboration.

The version I used did not have programmable moves but I am quite sure it does now.

The day rate is not all that alarming--at one time it was $10K a day but I imagine that as it has become more commonplace that the day rate has dropped. Many stadiums have semi-permanent installations of the winches and cables which makes it a lot cheaper than the pre-rig necessary for a one-off show.
Old December 4th, 2006, 11:50 PM   #20
New Boot

Great work Andy, makes that AK look hot!

tell me if you dont mind, how do i get my video to look as good as yours? I no almost nothing about how to use my cam (XL1) a little more about my NLE (Vegas) but would love to output video as clear and rich as yours.

Please help
Grant Macdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 03:37 AM   #21
Regular Crew

How to rig a stadium

Here's a decent iso view of how a stadiium is rigged - Note the three 20 hp drum winches - One for north-south, one for east-west, and one for the vertical. XY&Z.

http://www.linuxdevices.com/files/mi...a_brochure.jpg
Jay Fisk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms