The difference between a jib and a crane? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 11th, 2007, 06:35 PM   #1
Major Player

The difference between a jib and a crane?

The title says it all - sorry if this has been asked before but I'd like to know...
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 06:57 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The way I use it, and the way I hear it used, the distinction being that a 'jib' is for the camera only, while a 'crane' usually includes a seat for the operator, and quite possibly the AC. or Director.

So a 'jib' is a small 'crane' that can be mounted atop a tripod or other device, and the operator stands on the ground, controlling the camera as it moves up and down.

A 'crane' is typically a larger device, might or might not be self-propelled and powered, that can lift a full sized camera and operator.

The confusion can come in because a 'crane shot' might be performed with a jib. Much like a 'dolly shot' might NOT be performed specifically on a dolly.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 08:02 PM   #3
Major Player

Yeah, the term "Crane" & "Jib" are used so loosely because most people don't really know what they are. Crane sounds a little bigger. We own a 50' Cammate Series 2000 Camera Crane, which is what Cammate calls it, but really it is in fact a Jib. There is no rider on it, just a camera that is remotely operated from the base of the unit. Richard had a pretty good explanation of it, in his last line about the dolly.
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Well I suppose one might say "all jibs are cranes, but not all cranes are jibs" if that helps any.

Probably not though....
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 02:33 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Outside of the photographic realm, a jib crane is one that has an arm (the jib) that can rotate, raise or lower a load. The Pylon is what the jib rotates ON - for our purposes, the tripod or stand you mount a jib arm on would be the "pylon".

Away from photography again, there are several other types of cranes used for lifting -

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...ARDS&p_id=9830

In my "other" job, we usually refer to a "jib hoist" - this consists of a center pylon, usually fastened to a heavy plate which is in turn lag bolted to a heavy concrete floor - at the top of the pylon, there's a bearing that holds a horizontal "H" beam (the jib) on which rolls a trolley that has a small electric winch hanging from it - so you can lift a heavy object, swing it around and/or push it along the jib's length, and set it down in another location.

In photographic terms, I get the impression that the terms are more or less interchangeable by most - but any crane I've seen used for photography would be called a jib crane in the industrial community... Steve
Steve Leverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 03:31 AM   #6
Wrangler

I would stipulate that a crane can be either manned or remotely operated from a distance from the crane, whereas a jib is manually operated, or if remotely, from the end of the arm.

It is a somewhat technical distinction though. In most cases a jib is a short crane.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms