GY-HMQ10U...Another new cam from JVC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old January 10th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

GY-HMQ10U...Another new cam from JVC

GY-HMQ10U JVC Professional Features page

Here's the press release..: http://pro.jvc.com/pro/pr/2012/releases/gyhmq10.html

Steve
Bethlehem, Pa.

Last edited by Steve J. Nordahl; January 10th, 2012 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Additional Info..
Steve J. Nordahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #2
Space Hipster

Re: GY-HMQ10U...Another new cam from JVC

Man, I so want this! Affordable 4K video capture. I have no idea what I'd do with the video, but I still want one!!!
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 04:27 AM   #3
HDV Cinema

Pan and zoom a FullHD window through a Quad HD frame.

I've tested this using iMovie's KenBurns FX. Just like working with a huge photo. Very sweet!

Zooming works in Media Composer.

FCP, MC, iM all import QDHD ProRes.

Missing info on utility that reads 4 streams sequentially and converts to 1 stream of QDHD ProRes.

It seems camera will down-convert to HD. Output via HDMI -- YES. Output a file -- don't know yet. Worse case -- perhaps files on one card are down converted to an HD file on a second card.

PS: Wait for the screams about not being able to get a shallow DOF. :( This is not strictly true since it seems the chip is 1/2-inch and the max F-stop is 2.8.
Old January 11th, 2012, 05:11 AM   #4
Space Hipster

Steve, I agree on the DoF. This is basically a single chip EX1 that can shoot in 4K - and for a cheaper price. What's not to love?
The thought of holding a camera in my hands that can shoot 4K video, for less than $5,000, is simply mind-boggling. I was expecting it to be in the $6-8,000 price range.
Old January 11th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #5
HDV Cinema

I had heard it was going to be $6000 and was very depressed. I simply can't spend that much!

Good point about it being a single chip EX1!
Old January 11th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #6
Regular Crew

This is great news.I just hope this means that JVC will be coming out with a shoulder mount version, and if it is $10,000.00 or less with 1/2" chips I would take two right away and a third by the end of the year.I pushed back my camera upgrade until this year and It looks like I maybe glad I waited
John Thomason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #7
Major Player

I am beginning to think the shoulder mount crowd has just been forgotten.
Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I disagree with that. I think JVC will always have a flagship camera for studios and news crews. this is what the HD250 was and what the HM790 is. these are the type of camera's that I would be interested in, where I use in the studio and in the field.
I can't imagine that JVC would increase the quality in it's prosumer cameras and not increase the quality in it's professional cameras.It has to many TV stations and small production houses that use their equipment to not address that market. If I am wrong there is always Sony or Panasonic. I hope not I have use JVC cameras sense KY29 days
John Thomason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 01:02 PM   #9
HDV Cinema

JVC has a good business in news. But these customers don't need 4K. And won't for years.

For the Indie crowd, JVC is showing a 1.?" sensor 4K camera with a Nikon mount.

This could become a shoulder-mount.
Old January 13th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #10
Space Hipster

It's a 1.25" 8.3 megapixel sensor, with a Nikon F-mount.

CES 2012 JVC 4K2K with Interchangeable lens - YouTube
Old January 14th, 2012, 04:31 AM   #11
Regular Crew

4K resolution for 5K US... that's close enough to being what I was hoping for with the Red Scarlet. It's a shame it "only" does 60p at 4K, as I'd love to have the proposed Red's 120fps, but 50/60p means smooth half speed replays, and that quarter speed replays still look ok. Looks like JVC have managed to make what could be the camera to replace my HM700.
James McBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
Zooming works in Media Composer.
Hey Steve,

Could you explain this? I thought MC was unable to zoom into footage without quality loss, cause it resizes (or crops) footage on import.

Thanks!
Old January 15th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #13
Trustee

JVC has a history of coming up with innovative ideas and systems. Yet they always fall behind in market perception at the end.
Old January 16th, 2012, 04:00 AM   #14
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post
Hey Steve,

Could you explain this? I thought MC was unable to zoom into footage without quality loss, cause it resizes (or crops) footage on import.

Thanks!
Good catch! The Pan_Scan function cannot zoom. But since it can pan & scan within 4K2K -- it doesn't crop AMA ProRes imports.

PS: I've heard that the Pan_Scan_Zoom function, which was limited to photos, now works with video. It's on my list of things to check when I get back.
Old January 17th, 2012, 10:26 AM   #15
HDV Cinema

OT Puzzle: where in the world is Steve reading the "First Impressions" story and wondering about the needed utility?

I'm hoping that since JVC released ProHD utilities for the Mac and PC they will simply modify them to bring data, via USB, from 4 cards in the camcorder into one's computer. Although there is a spec for 4K2K H.264 (Level 5.1 and 5.2) they only reach 30p.

I'm assuming there will be a utility supports transcoding to ProRes on the Mac.

What works like ProRes on the PC? CineForm? Will it work at 4K2K?

PS: so much for a using a front-camera iPhone shot!
Attached Thumbnails
GY-HMQ10U...Another new cam from JVC-photo.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders