JVC 4K Camcorder Announced - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old January 10th, 2012, 10:21 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: JVC 4K Camcorder Announced

I think most people missed its most groundbreaking feature. It can output a live 4K stream!!!
I think not even Red can do that. There is a lot of potential in this camera and probably much more in the underlying technology. If I'm not mistaken is less than a year since they announced their new processing chip. Imagine if they were Canon, how long it would taken for this camera. LOL

JVC years ago, gave us the first VHS-C camcorder and a few years back the first HDV camcorder. It does it again giving the first 4K AVHD camcorder. Kudos to them for being true camera innovators, even if they don't have a strong following in the professional world.

Also their price is very competitive. Just the inclusion of a 4K 10X 2.8 lens worths at least 1/4th of the price.
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 11:34 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I agree.

And it looks like JVC are doing the reverse from Canon with their C300, and releasing their prosumer version first ..

'Don't expect the HMQ10 to be JVC's last word on 4K — certainly not for the professional market, though the XLR inputs should extend this camera's usability out of the pure consumer realm. The company promised more 4K news throughout 2012, which we suspect will include some NAB announcements. The HMQ10 ships in March.'

(Elsewhere they say April .. you might expect the JVC marketing dept to be falling over itself, it's not limited to the RED Canon bus lol.)

Nice 4K/HD page ..

JVC Professional Technical Description page

Cheers.
Old January 10th, 2012, 11:47 PM   #18
Major Player

My first HD camera was a JVC HD10U & I'm not sure if I'll ever totally forgive JVC for it. In 2009 I used a couple JVC HM700 cameras in a shared pool ENG / EFP shop & I personally felt that the camera couldn't hold up to the abuse (at least not compared to the horrible torture I've seen inflicted on numerous Sony Betacams years after they should've been retired).

Now I'm just saying this to show I'm not the biggest JVC fan boy & to emphasize the weight of my next statement. The HMQ10 just made it on to my short list of my next camera to buy.

Looks very good on paper so far, I'll be looking closely into this camera & see how it shakes out.
Old January 11th, 2012, 01:15 AM   #19
Major Player

Now imagine this:

Since it has 4K out, you can rent the uncompressed Sony recorder for F65 and if you manage to connect it to the 4 HDMIs, you will get amazing uncompressed 4k video, albeit with the dynamic, low light and DOF limitations of the camera.

Alternatively, you can buy 4 atomos Ninja's for a combined cost with the camera of $9K. If its possible to combine the streams into 4K with the provided software, you will get a very impressive 880 Mbps 4K video in the Prores format. Probably 8bit because of the HDMI (I'm crossing my fingers on that), but nevertheless exceptional for the money you payed ;-)
A WYSIWYG 4K camera, with less compression than Epic!
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 05:33 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Well, I guess Scarlet arrived after all. :-)
Old January 11th, 2012, 05:47 AM   #21
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Nash View Post
Well, I guess Scarlet arrived after all. :-)
LOL! I was just about to post this. A single chip (granted, 1/2", not 2/3") fixed lens camera, able to record 4K images, all for under $6,000. Hmm, where have we heard this story before? :-)

Edit - it's actually a 1/2.3" chip, slightly smaller than a 1/2" chip.

Last edited by Glen Vandermolen; January 11th, 2012 at 09:31 PM.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 05:59 AM   #22
Major Player

What would scanning artifacts look like when a 2x2 array is being scanned in parallel?
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 06:35 AM   #23
Inner Circle

There's more to images than just resolution figures, there's dynamic range, colour space, handling of highlights, skin tones, sensitivity and compression artefacts. There are a lot of boxes to be ticked.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 07:16 AM   #24
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Struthers View Post
Looks like a HMC-100/150 with a squarish-looking tumour poking out of its side, LOL.
It's not a too-mah!
Old January 11th, 2012, 07:44 AM   #25
Trustee

c'mon Sony, give us something !
Old January 11th, 2012, 08:16 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
Leave it to JVC. They're always the innovators.
Man, I can't wait to see footage from one of these. The problem is...what do I see it on? Are we at the dawn of 4K productions?
I Got a chane to play around with the cam at NAB JVC displayed clips from the cam on a 4k TV the footage looked great.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 09:22 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Molush View Post
4k @ 60p? Thats really good for that price...
It records in QuadHD (or QFHD) 3840×2160, not 4k. 3840 <> 4096. Stupid marketeers.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 10:09 AM   #28
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
It records in QuadHD (or QFHD) 3840×2160, not 4k. 3840 <> 4096. Stupid marketeers.
Technically, yes, it's slightly below 4K, but the digital film standard of Academy 4K is 3656 x 2664 and Digital Cinema 4K is 3996 x 2160 (1.85:1 aspect ratio).
3840×2160 Is darn close to 4K.
Old January 11th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #29
Major Player

I'm more excited about what this camera does for the industry than what it does mechanically. It's a catalyst, so to speak. RED did its part pushing for affordable cameras with big sensors, high resolution, and raw video. I think MY major goal for RED is done (forcing the big Japanese companies to get in on the game) Now, that JVC has jumped into 4K, Canon, Sony, and Panny must follow suit and release some competition which will involve "1-upping" each other. It's still the same annoying "trickle of tech" way of releasing cameras every year with minimum upgrades, but we've reached another "jump tier"

Like this (very simplified and not including alot of high end recording mediums):

Tier 1 Mini DV (late 90's - early 00's)

yearly minimum upgrade
yearly minimum upgrade
yearly minimum upgrade
yearly minimum upgrade
yearly minimum upgrade

Tier 2 HDV (early 00's - mid 00's)

yearly minimum upgrade
yearly minimum upgrade
yearly minimum upgrade
yearly minimum upgrade
yearly minimum upgrade

Tier 3 Solid State HD/variable frame rate (late 00's - early 10's)

yearly minimum upgrade
yearly minimum upgrade
yearly minimum upgrade
yearly minimum upgrade
yearly minimum upgrade

Tier 4 Solid State HD/4K (current starting trend which will probably really kick into gear next year)

I really appreciate what RED has done. I can't wait to see what the next couple of years bring!

Consumer wins!

-burk
Jason Burkhimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #30
Major Player

...and yea, the prosumer and professional products do enjoy more than a year lifespan, I know. Just tryin to illustrate a point. ;)

-burk
Jason Burkhimer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders