LS300 Baltimore Harbor 4K test at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old August 11th, 2015, 08:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

LS300 Baltimore Harbor 4K test

I've posted a couple of quick test shots I did in the Baltimore Inner Harbor.

Overall I'm enjoying the LS300, getting used to its quirks while figuring out 4K workflows. Looking forward to the 2.0 updates coming from JVC.
Dave Bittner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2015, 09:10 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: LS300 Baltimore Harbor 4K test

Thanks for sharing. I've been watching a lot of LS300 clips online. How do you feel the camera handles highlights?

I've been on a big fan of Canon's C100, C300 and 5D Mark III mostly on there profiles and ability to handles highlights nicely.

Hope the new 2.0 firmware gives the camera some latitude, for the specs and abilities its the best deal out there.
Old August 11th, 2015, 09:26 AM   #3
Trustee

Have you used the LS300 streaming? I'd like to hand the client an android tablet and allow them to watch everything I'm shooting. Is that possible? How well does it work?
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2015, 11:25 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I've been busy with other projects, so I've only scratched the surface in terms of testing the camera's capabilities. I'm planning on digging in and testing the various profiles and features, soon, and I'll post here as I learn more.

I haven't yet tested the streaming capabilities.

I agree, it's a hard camera to beat in terms of bang for the buck, and I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of dynamic range the JVC log file format provides. (Hoping it has straight forward integration with FCP X, as well.)

I've been playing with various lenses, including the Nikon via Metabones adapter, an old B4 broadcast servo zoom via an adapter, a Rokinon 85mm prime, and a Panasonic 45-175 power zoom. Like I said, still scratching the surface, hoping to find some more time to explore.

The only real problem I've faced so far is the placement of the ND filter wheel, which gets in the way of the rail supports for some of the lens adapters. I've had to remove the rail supports for both my Nikon and B4 lens adapter. Not a huge deal, but a puzzling design choice by JVC.

More to come...
Dave Bittner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2015, 01:33 PM   #5
Major Player

I was doing two days of chroma key in a small studio.

I had SDI running to a large monitor, and the PA viewed the streaming feed on a laptop from the JVC.
The SDI output was clean, but the PA could see the timecode of the recordings.
It worked fine, although it has a low frame rate and a second or so delay.

Reviewing the last shot wasn't possible by using the button under the screen. Which I assume was due to the streaming be activated? I had to put the camera into playback mode, and doing that seemed to blackout the video preview. So the connection needed to be reset at both end, but it wasn't a major deal breaker.

It would be great however if this low frame rate view was available without all the functions of the camera also available. I'd be worried that client might change a setting inadvertently.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders