JVC LS300 Plus Canon IS Lens Question(s) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old October 7th, 2015, 10:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

JVC LS300 Plus Canon IS Lens Question(s)

Greetings LS300 Shooters -- throwing this out there as I had an issue using long Canon telephoto coupled to my LS300.

Had lens mounted shooting some backyard stuff. IS was "activated" on lens (using MetaBones MK IV EF). When I turned off the Vid-cam - I heard a loud CLUNK - most definitely coming from rear of Canon lens. With lens unmounted from vid-cam - there was distinct rattle coming from rear of lens. Suspected it was the IS element assembly - uncoupled from wherever it couples too.

I mounted lens onto Canon 7D MKII - turned cam body on - IS was engaged on lens - and heard another "clunk" from rear of lens - took some shots with that body/lens combo - and all looks OK. This never happened with Canon wide zooms attached. Anybody out there ever experience similar incident ? Should IS on lens be disengaged "before" shutting down LS300 ? Anybody had damage to Canon IS lens in similar situation ? What firmware version on Metabones EF IV and/or LS300 do you have ? ANY feedback would be appreciated !

Overall - is it worth it to upgrade LS300 to latest firmware -- or too many issues generated ? I use Shogun as monitor as JVC lcd/viewfinder really is a joke !
Old October 7th, 2015, 01:57 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: JVC LS300 Plus Canon IS Lens Question(s)

Strange because the IS on my EF-S 17-55 doesn't seem to work at all - I haven't worried about it because I prefer the Olympus 12-40 (which doesn't have IS) - but I had assumed the Metabones didn't pass that info through to the camera.

I'd be interested in hearing others experiences with the Metabones.
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2015, 02:36 PM   #3
Major Player

A clunk is not a good sign, this should not be happening on either camera.
The only Canon lens I have is the 17-55mm also - switching the IS on/off produces a very quiet sound but no clunk.
The IS on my 17-55m does seem to work.

I would have no hesitation about upgrading to V2 - there some minor issues but nothing is taken away. The JLog (which I wasn't planning to use) is actually very nice - just dropping the blacks in post by 10-15% produces natural looking pics.
Old October 8th, 2015, 10:39 AM   #4
Major Player

A clunk is not a good thing - I can't see how it could have been caused by the camera though - it couldn't have overpowered the IS, or misinserted a gear like a starter on a car... That's a weird one for sure.
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders