Lens adapters at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old August 1st, 2016, 05:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Lens adapters

I was wondering what experience people have had with various lens mount adapters for different brands of lenses. I'm looking at several used lenses.. Thanks very much.
George
George Ferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2016, 10:58 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Lens adapters

Which lenses are you looking at using?
Nikon, Canon or...?

When I first bought my FS100 I got a MTF (Mike Tapa) E-Mount adapter for my Nikon lenses.

Then when I got a Sony a6000 I decided to try a cheap Fotodiox E-Mount to Nikon as it was only a second camera. Since then I've bought three other Fotodiox adapters.
Very happy with all of them.

There will always be a tiny bit of play because you are introducing two more connection points, but it's not a problem in my experience. I did have an odd experience where one of my Simga lenses had a strong iris spring (Nikon mount) which would very slowly creep shut because the adaptor iris ring wasn't stiff enough. A bit of camera tape solved the issue, but Fotodiox replaced it anyway.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 01:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Duncan, I just got a Nikon DSLR. Do you suggest I invest in Nikon lenses, and use an adapter to use the lenses on the LS300 too? Or just forget about it and invest in native MFT lenses for the LS300?
B.J. Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2016, 02:16 PM   #4
Major Player

Mike Tapa's company (MTF) has a liberal supply of adapters for all sorts of lenses. His service, by the way, is exemplary. Pay attention to the adapter's features when you buy. For example several MTF adapters feature iris rings that will give you the ability to use a manual iris with a lens that doesn't have one. May be of value to you. Also, when you put a large lens on your camera with an adapter, be sure you have a way to support the lens if on a tripod. Lots of torque on the adapter. Most adapters increase your crop factor. You may or may not like that. The amount should be mentioned on the webpage for the adapter.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2016, 05:40 PM   #5
Regular Crew

The RJ Speed Booster for mounting Minolta MD lenses on MFT cameras is incompatible with the LS300. The rear element of the RJ adapter protrudes deeply into the camera body and collides with the internal ND filter bracket of the LS300, making it impossible to attach to the camera.
Lee Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2016, 04:29 AM   #6
Major Player

If you've bought a Nikon camera then you have no choice but to buy Nikon mount lenses - if you want stabilisation and autofocus. I've sold all my Nikon bodies but I've kept a few old Nikkor lenses which work via dumb adaptors on my camcorders.

When it comes to smart adaptor manufacturers, the Nikon lens protocol is not as well understood as Canon. Metabones and Aputure only offer adaptors to fit Canon glass to different bodies. So you won't be able to get your Nikon lenses to stabilise or autofocus on your LS300.

(Commlite make a Nikon to E-Mount smart adaptor)
Old August 4th, 2016, 06:47 AM   #7
Regular Crew

As a long time Nikon shooter I have a significant collection of Nikkor lenses. With a Voightlander F to MFT adapter they work very nicely on my LS300. Most of the lenses are manual focus primes, but my old AF 20-35 f2.8 and 35-70 f2.8 work well (in manual focus) also. All have aperture rings. My modern f2.8 Nikon zoom lenses lack aperture rings so a lens adapter with its own aperture adjustment would be needed in order to use them. Unfortunately they are heavy and exceed JVC's recommended .9 kg lens weight limit, so a camera mount with lens support is also required.

I'm impressed with the 4K image quality from the LS300 when a good full frame lens is mounted that uses the entire sensor. And they also maximize the prime-zoom feature in HD shooting. My Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 MFT lens works fine when I need stabilization or autofocus, but I think full frame lenses provide somewhat better image quality in 4K.
Luke Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2016, 07:57 AM   #8
Major Player

I am using 3 Nikon DX lenses (18-200, 17-55, and 35mm 1.8 prime) with a Metabones Speed Booster N/F - M43 adapter (not the ultra, an older model that I bought used on ebay). While there is no "auto" anything with this configuration, I prefer shooting in manual anyway. The only thing that I miss having is the VR function to help smooth out handheld shots. When doing event work, I love that I can use the open/close ring on the speed booster as a more standard iris ring instead of the consumer type wheel on the LS300. The speedbooster gives you a full stop, making the 1.8 35mm prime fantastic for low light shooting. You don't get a readout of the stops on your LCD/Viewfinder, and the DX lenses don't show F stops on the lens itself. But you still have the histogram and zebra for helping with exposure. I haven't done any documentary shooting yet with the camera, but can see where the lack of f-stop readout on the lens and in your viewfinder/LCD might be problem for that type of job. I have had no call to this point for 4K, and the prime zoom feature has been terrific for HD shooting.

I had the the Nikon DX lenses before purchasing the camera, but if starting from scratch I probably would go with full frame lenses. Still, the DX lenses are very sharp, and the 1.8 35mm can be purchased new for about $175 - a bargain for a prime, low light lens that can be used with the prime zoom feature (at least for standard HD work).

Last edited by Jim Nogueira; August 4th, 2016 at 08:00 AM. Reason: typo
Jim Nogueira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2016, 01:04 PM   #9
Major Player

I have the Metabones N/F M43 I believe the latest mount as well. Using 40+ year old Nikon F lenses and modern DX lenses with no issues. The aperture ring supersedes the aperture ring on the old lenses and gives me silky smooth control of DX lenses. IF you have an older F mount lens be sure to open or close the aperture as you choose to see what aperture you are on with the lens. (will be clicked) If you close the aperture on the older lens then you can open/close via the Metabones adapter (de-clicked)

Seems solid but not as nice as locking feeling as on a Nikon F mount camera.

I'm not convinced that I will continue to purchases lenses in the future for Nikon F mount to use on Nikon cameras and the JVC with Metabones adapter. I may purchase some Rokinons 16, 35, 50 & 80 on MFT instead and skip the adapter if I can verify the FOV and corner brightness and sharpness is the same as if I got the lens for Nikon F mount and adapted it to MFT. BH says it works out to the same since it's still a super 35mm sensor.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2016, 01:26 PM   #10
Major Player

A few things to mention. Fotodiox have recently announced a Nikon to E-Mount smart adaptor.
So they've cracked the Nikon digital lens protocol and dealt with the mechanical iris.
Perhaps it's possible that a MFT version is in the works?

Another point, all my Nikon/Nikkor lenses as well as my Tokina 11-16 focus in the opposite direction to my Samyang primes, my Sigma 24-70 and my Panasonic 12-35 and 35-100 pair.
Attached Thumbnails
Lens adapters-lenses.jpg  
Old December 31st, 2016, 10:41 AM   #11
Regular Crew

anyone has any experience with this?

Zhongyi Lens Turbo Adapters for Micro Four Thirds cameras ver II (M43 / MFT) - Mitakon - ZY Optics (Shenyang Zhongyi Optics )
B.J. Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2017, 07:32 AM   #12
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Powell View Post
The RJ Speed Booster for mounting Minolta MD lenses on MFT cameras is incompatible with the LS300. The rear element of the RJ adapter protrudes deeply into the camera body and collides with the internal ND filter bracket of the LS300, making it impossible to attach to the camera.
Hi, any idea about the compatibility of the LS300 and the Mitakon Zhonghi lens turbo II FD-M43 converter? It also protrudes into the camera body, but not sure how much compared to the RJ that you mention.

Thanks!
Eduardo Rubio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2017, 10:58 PM   #13
New Boot

I have not used the Mitakon Zhonghi.

I own a Pixco EF-MFT Speed booster, and it works nicely on the LS300. It clears the internal ND filter, but only by 1 or 2mm, so as long as you connect it carefully (don't shove it in at an angle) it works great.

The quality is great at the center, very sharp. Towards the edges, it introduces some purple fringing and some odd out of focus highlights. Over all I'm very happy with it for $80. It's great for faces and people, low light shots. I would not recommend it for architectural or landscape.
Steve Ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2017, 01:38 PM   #14
New Boot

Wow, 1 or 2mm sounds a bit risky to me. Thanks for the info Steve.
Eduardo Rubio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2017, 12:23 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan Craig View Post
A few things to mention. Fotodiox have recently announced a Nikon to E-Mount smart adaptor.
So they've cracked the Nikon digital lens protocol and dealt with the mechanical iris.
Perhaps it's possible that a MFT version is in the works?
Lenses which control NIkon Mount iris for MFT have existed since almost the dawn of time.

As they're easy to make, and very very affordable.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders