JVC LS300 for a week or two at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old August 20th, 2016, 06:03 AM   #1
Austinite

JVC LS300 for a week or two

The camera has been shipping for almost a year and a half now but I finally had the chance to spend some time with it. Question. How do you change aperture the metabones adapter to EF? There is a small dial on the adapter that does nothing. There is no switch on the camera or menu setting to use to chance the aperture.
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2016, 06:38 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: JVC LS300 for a week or two

Not familiar with the Metabones, but assuming it is a "smart" adapter (one that communicates with the lens) you would use the Iris Knob on the LS-300 to manually control aperture. In Auto Iris the camera would set it automatically.
Luke Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2016, 08:00 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Make sure your Metabones adapter is fully updated.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2016, 04:05 PM   #4
Major Player

I use the iris dial on the LS-300 like you would with a native M4/3 lens - the changes are very smooth (for an electronic iris) If you use the dial on the adapter it works but is very steppy.

As Gary said make sure firmware is the latest on both adapter and camera.
Old August 21st, 2016, 08:38 AM   #5
Major Player

I bought a Metabones EF smart adapter in a bundle with my first LS300, and I've never been able to get the aperture control to work properly (my EF lenses were with a friend in Australia when I got it, so it was over a month and I couldn't return the adapter to B&H).

Sometimes it works a couple of times, then freezes and I have to dismount the adapter from the camera and remount, which obviously makes the adapter useless for most situations - I've talked about this before here. And yes, I've done the firmware updates.

The odd thing is, the adapter works fine on my Pocket Cameras, so I have given up and just use it on those.

Anyway, it may be a contact issue with my particular camera - an issue which conceivably could pop up on other cameras as well.
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 01:29 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I know it is some confusion on which Metabones works with LS300, since they have several for EF->MFT.

This is the one Metabones argues to be the one:

Metabones®

I had one for test with the same symptomes as yours, but it proved to be the wrong product.

Br.
Stein Onshus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 10:11 AM   #7
Austinite

Thanks for the replies folks! #teamDVinfo!!!

Camera is 0200-0118 and the adapter was V1.4. I updated the adapter to V2.4 and it's good now. Aperture can be adjusted on the adapter itself now, that little dial / switch that it has.

I've got a little backyard shooting on Rokinon 24mm T1.5 Cine ED lens (CV24M-MFT) that I will be uploading to youtube soon in UHD. I'll post here when I have it done.
Old August 27th, 2016, 02:47 PM   #8
Austinite

In the Backyard with the JVC GY-LS300, hatch peppers, pugs and a toddler

This was all shot handheld
Rokinon 24mm T1.5 Cine ED AS IF UMC Lens for Micro Four Thirds Mount MFR# CV24M-MFT
3840x2160 UHD
Rec709
150mb/second

Exported from Adobe Premiere at 40mbps target
No color correction or levels adjustment

Old August 28th, 2016, 09:01 AM   #9
Austinite

Ready for some original media files from the camera?

This is a 1GB download of twelve clips that are about 5 - 8 seconds long.
Shot on the streets of Elgin, Texas Friday August 26, 2016, 7:30 - 7:50am CST.
4096 x 2160 DCI 23.98
5600k white balance
JVC Log Gamma (J-Log1)
Camera firmware 0200-0118
Lens: Rokinon 24mm T1.5 Cine ED AS IF UMC Lens for Micro Four Thirds Mount MFR# CV24M-MFT
Shot with the aperture mostly on the wide end
No filters on the lens
ND was 1/64 on most shots, 1/16 on a couple shots.

To download these original media clips, make your internet browser full screen and click this link once and only once. You will see it begin to download at the bottom of your screen. If you click more than once it will start downloading multiple times. There is no sort of popup window or anything when you click this Mediafire link.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/4d...emsAug2016.zip

You are free to:

Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
for any purpose, even commercially.
The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.
Under the following terms:

Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
Old August 31st, 2016, 08:14 AM   #10
Austinite

There have been eight downloads since I uploaded the original footage. Thanks for checking it out!
Old September 4th, 2016, 11:43 AM   #11
Major Player

Thanks for providing it! Love the look from this camera. Just wish my poor old mid-2010 iMac could play 4K smoothly, but that's a whole other issue.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders