DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4kcam-pro-handheld-camcorders/)
-   -   In a perfect world... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4kcam-pro-handheld-camcorders/533679-perfect-world.html)

George Odell March 5th, 2017 10:58 AM

In a perfect world...

1 Attachment(s)
...I'd like to have my old B&W viewfinder working on this (my friends) LS300. Tried shooting outside yesterday and it was not a pleasant experience, to say the least. I've had this idea to mod up my old Sony Betacam viewfinder for some time so that I could use it on cameras I may rent. I think now is a good time to go ahead with that project.

The camera is outputting standard def video from the AV jack all the time. They are using a 4-pole 3.5mm plug kind of like what is found on the iPhone. I should be able to make up a mount that slides into the shoe atop the handle. Power for the VF can come from a small external battery perhaps added to the bottom via the 1/4 x 20 tripod mount socket.

Steve Rosen March 6th, 2017 08:46 AM

Re: In a perfect world...

I have that same viewfinder in a drawer somewhere, hated it then, would hate it even more now... For around 600 bucks you can get a Z-Finder Pro EVF - it's lighter, much smaller, self-powered, sharper, color or B&W, has zebras, it's own peaking and 1:1 focusing aids and it's HDMI...

I'm a DIY guy, so I understand the compulsion to do this kind of thing, but I'd put the effort elsewhere.

George Odell March 6th, 2017 11:18 AM

There were different versions of this viewfinder. The one that came on my camera did not have peaking and was not all that sharp. This was one for another model Sony that I was able to buy as NOS. It has an internal peaking circuit and better contrast than the first.

It may work and it may not. If not I'm out the cost of the 20-pin socket. I like a challenge and I like to save $$ when I can.

Duncan Craig March 6th, 2017 12:53 PM

In daylight I often use a Hoodman EX1 loupe on my LS300. It's a very good fit, if a little weighty.

Jay P. Kaley March 7th, 2017 11:06 AM

Duncan I was curious how a LCD loupe like that would work as far as the LCD door supporting the weight of it? Does it attach to a more stable part than the door?

I ask because I had issues with the 'flimsiness" of the LCD door on a JVC 750, so I'm wary of hurting that little door, really does seem like it will be easy to catch on something and twist loose or off.

Duncan Craig March 7th, 2017 11:40 AM

It's quite heavy yes, my LCD door is very wobbly and there's screw loose inside. Although I don't think it's related to the loupe weight.

William Hohauser March 7th, 2017 12:16 PM

An ideal loupe for the LS300 would attach to the tripod mount much like the loupes for DSLR cameras. Not likely anyone will make one.

Steve Rosen March 8th, 2017 06:28 PM

It would probably be really easy to make one though - if I wasn't locked into my EVF (which I also had to design and build a simple mount for) I'd give it a try... although attached to the top of the handle would be lighter and make it easier to mount on and off a tripod...

George Odell March 11th, 2017 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Rosen (Post 1928694)
... although attached to the top of the handle would be lighter and make it easier to mount on and off a tripod...

Which is why using an old CCD camera viewfinder would make sense. Easy enough to make a mount to slide right into the hot shoe of the handle. The LCD is still available for checking color, system specs etc. For shooting and focusing outside in bright sunlight the extra VW would be a welcome addition.