LS300 memory card issue... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old March 15th, 2017, 02:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

LS300 memory card issue...

I bought a few of the SanDisk Extreme plus UHS-1 class 10 U3 90MB/s memory cards.

They work in every format except the HD YUV 422 setting. I shot in 4K 150Mb/s and the card worked fine, but if I switch to HD YUV 422 it will record but when I load the memory card and try to open the file I get a "this file may be damaged or not recognized by Quicktime player" message.

When I double-click and check the info on the file, it says Quicktime Movie and looks like every other file I just shot, but the thumbnail doesn't' show and it won't open. I also tried a Transcend card that came with the camera, same thing, it works for 4K 150Mb but not for HD YUV 422.

Any thoughts on why the memory card won't read the HD 422 file? Or is there a setting I might have wrong? It seems odd.
Jay P. Kaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 02:52 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: LS300 memory card issue...

It might be a missing codec on your system or a NLE that doesn't recognize the YUV 422 files, which NLE are you using?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 03:31 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm using FCP X. I've been learning the camera and grading and so forth and didn't realize the 422 setting was there, tried it yesterday and got this issue. Tried it again today to make sure, formatted the card, shot clips with different settings and any setting works okay except the YUV422.

I'm looking for some setting I may have wrong, checked the manual and google and haven't seen anything like it so far, where just the 422 setting doesn't play off a card.
Old March 15th, 2017, 04:25 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I edit in Edius and there the yuv 422 files edit fine so fcpx doesn't seem to recognize the codec.
Old March 15th, 2017, 04:40 PM   #5
Regular Crew

The thing is it's not just FCP X, when I load the memory card reader and just try to click open a video file anything shot in YUV 422 won't even open off the memory card, a quicktime player issue too I guess.

I'm kinda bummed by this, hoping it's not some sort of bug in the camera and needs to be returned. Seems like the 422 setting is something you want to be able to use.
Old March 16th, 2017, 03:12 AM   #6
New Boot

Have you tried to open it with VLC? My version of QT also doesn't open them but no problem to play them with VLC
Eduardo Rubio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 07:23 AM   #7
New Boot

I've had that issue too and converted with Handbrake, no problem. VLC will also play it. So that makes FCP and Sony Vegas that has issues with playing back YUV 422 files......interesting
Courtney Baynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 09:05 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo Rubio View Post
Have you tried to open it with VLC? My version of QT also doesn't open them but no problem to play them with VLC
Yes they will play in VLC, I haven't used that to edit, does that help me get them into FCP X somehow or just be able to see them?

Courtney do you always shoot in YUV 422 and transcode everything, or just use the other HD setting or 4K?

It doesn't make sense, part of the reason I got in to the JVC was the idea they're made to work smoothly with Apple FCP and Quicktime, don't like the idea of transcoding everything and/or not being able to use the 422 setting. Not sure what to make of this, it's disappointing.
Old March 16th, 2017, 09:28 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Won't open or won't import? Do not try to play off the card. Can you upload a short file, 1 or 2 seconds?
Old March 16th, 2017, 10:34 AM   #10
Regular Crew

It won't really do either. When I try to play from the card I get the "damaged or not recognized by Quicktime" message. If I try to import to FCP, it will import and you can hear audio, but it's just black for video. I dropped it to the timeline, same thing, black with audio. Not sure what to upload, the file won't open and it's just black on FCP X, but if can be more specific I'll try it for sure.

Also these cards were on sale, and like I said they worked with every other setting, but I'm going to go buy another type of card just in case, to rule it out. Although the Transcend card that came with the camera works on every setting but YUV422 as well, so I don't think that's it.

Do you folks mostly shoot on the YUV 422 setting? How important do you think it is to use?
Old March 16th, 2017, 11:03 AM   #11
Inner Circle

The card is not the problem, your NLE is, in Edius these type of files handle just fine.Shooting 4:2:2 8bit is somewhat beneficial if you plan on colorgrading or shooting greenscreen but don't expect miracles as it's still 8bit.
Old March 16th, 2017, 11:51 AM   #12
Inner Circle

I never shoot YUV, haven't had a reason to....yet. It's not the card. YUV files from other cameras work on FCPX without a problem. What Mac are you using and are your Pro video codecs up to date?

Download a demo version of EditReady to convert the file. That might help. EditReady : Transcode Any Camera Source Without The Hassle
Old March 16th, 2017, 11:52 AM   #13
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay P. Kaley View Post

Courtney do you always shoot in YUV 422 and transcode everything, or just use the other HD setting
No I usually shoot in DCI 4k but tried 422 for the color grading benefits. Ive experienced what you experienced and a friendly cinematographer suggested that my NLE doesn't handle 422 well. He was right and Magix Vegas pro 14 doesn't manage JVC YUV 422. I only had the audio portions and the video aspect were "greened" out, similar to your black video files.
Courtney Baynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 12:25 PM   #14
Inner Circle

There is a possibility that JVC isn't using a standardized YUV codec which would account for the various programs being unable to read it. It might be sloppy programming or JVC has a good reason to alter the codec for better results. This happens frequently enough with other manufacturers as well. Then we are trapped with the developement cycles of the different NLE programmers. This is why I suggested EditReady, they are a good company and small enough to be able to update their program without adhering to a corporate schedule.
Old March 16th, 2017, 12:49 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
The card is not the problem, your NLE is, in Edius these type of files handle just fine.Shooting 4:2:2 8bit is somewhat beneficial if you plan on colorgrading or shooting greenscreen but don't expect miracles as it's still 8bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser View Post
It's not the card. YUV files from other cameras work on FCPX without a problem. What Mac are you using and are your Pro video codecs up to date?
I understand the card isn't the problem, it won't let me edit the title of the thread. What's confusing now is that Noa says it's the NLE, but William says YUV422 from other camera's work on FCPX so it seems to be the camera, or a JVC issue more than FCP or quicktime.

I don't know, I'm not going to transcode everything I shoot, I guess what will happen is I just won't use the 422. It's not right to have to jump thru hoops to use it, feels a bit sketchy and it just seems pretty basic that a Quicktime player should be able to read a quicktime MOV file. Just disappointed in the camera on this one.
Jay P. Kaley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders