JVC 4k shoulder? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old April 5th, 2017, 01:57 PM   #1
Major Player

JVC 4k shoulder?

Anyone know if JVC are bringing out a 4k shoulder similar to the 700/ 800 range and will the files drop easy into fcp as the HD files did
On the verge of buying a Sony fs5?!!!
Thanks
John
John Doran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 02:07 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: JVC 4k shoulder?

The FS5 isn't a shoulder camera either though. I use the FS5 a lot at work and actually prefer the JVC. Sony's lenses are very slow, and the focus is electronic, so you can't really use muscle memory. That's besides the point though. I don't know if JVC have anything coming up, and since they're still releasing firmware for this cam, I assume it's here for a while.
Nick Haman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 03:41 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for that!
I have th 700 and really like it.. maybe hold back for a while
Old April 5th, 2017, 04:29 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have a 700 too John, recently upgraded to the LS300 after waiting awhile to see if they were going to release a large sensor version of the shoulder form. I used ENG shoulder form forever, was really attached to it but wanted to move into the larger sensor.

I don't know if they plan a 4K shoulder or not, if they do I'd be interested but for now I've made a small shoulder rig around the LS300 and hope they go in the 10-bit upgrade or LS500 direction.

It seems like an obvious move to drop an s35 sensor into the 700 body, and I don't know why they don't but my best guess is that the larger ENG lenses to cover a S35 or full frame sensor would be crazy expensive but I don't know, same reason a 2/3" ENG shoulder costs $35k? That always felt like a network tax as much as tech cost.
Jay P. Kaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 08:56 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Last Fall at NAB NY I spoke with a JVC rep and said I would love to see the LS300 offered in a shoulder mount ENG form. He smiled and replied I was not the first person to make this request. He hinted that JVC had some products in development I would find interesting. NAB is in two weeks. Keep your fingers crossed.
W. Bill Magac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2017, 03:05 PM   #6
Major Player

Cheers
Is the Sony fs5 worth getting , I have the offer of a body only ( USA purchased' does it make
A difference as I am in the U.K. ?, if not what all rounder , not too expensive lens would be good
Thankyou

John
Old April 9th, 2017, 07:09 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I use the FS5 on a regular basis. It is a nice camera. What I particularly like about it is the form factor, along with the image quality and the slo-mo capability. I use the kit lens more than I thought I would along with the Sigma 18-35mm, the Rokinon 12mm and the Nikon 28-70. The variable neutral density is nice as well. I rarely use a tripod with it if I am collecting footage on the run.
Old April 11th, 2017, 08:16 AM   #8
Major Player

thanks for that, it seems a great camera!,just figuring what lens would be near the same as my canon lens (x14) on the ivc 700, possibly like a 16 or 17x..
would the canon lens fit onto the fs5
Old April 11th, 2017, 08:38 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Sometimes I wish I could try out that Canon lens from the JVC700, but haven't found a 1/3" adapter and the sensor won't crop far enough, but that lens is nice to shoot with.

I'm hoping the Canon 24-105 f4 can replace it, going to shoot a soccer game to test it out tomorrow. Won't be as wide, but with the prime zoom if needed should be able to get in pretty close, and the focus throw is short should be easier to track movement than long-throw cine- type lenses.
Jay P. Kaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2017, 10:05 AM   #10
Major Player

With an EVF, like a Gratical or Z-Finder, mounted off the front of the handle, the LS300 becomes a pretty good shoulder mount camera. Similar to an Arri SR.

10 or so years ago I was very impressed with the ergonomics of the JVC shoulder cams (more like an Aaton, much better than Arri)... I even liked the idea of the headphone mounted on the camera - unique idea (one of JVC's plusses, they take chances)... I'd like to see something like that with the LS300 innards too - only 10bit... Hope springs eternal...

BTW, I have the Canon 24-105 with a Metabones smart adapter... It's okay, but I sometimes have problems focusing when wide (and it isn't parfocal of course). The Olympus 12-40 is easier, but not long enough. The Lumix 35-100 works well, and the auto focus works pretty well when working fast, and I don't have manual focus problems at 35mm...

Last edited by Steve Rosen; April 16th, 2017 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Canon 24-105
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders