DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4kcam-pro-handheld-camcorders/)
-   -   Sensor Has Dirt In The Module (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4kcam-pro-handheld-camcorders/534312-sensor-has-dirt-module.html)

Aaron Jones Sr. June 27th, 2017 07:10 PM

Sensor Has Dirt In The Module

So I notice while scrubbing through the footage that I have dirt inside the sensor module. I thought it was a lens until I put the lens on the other LS3. I sent it out to the nearest professional repair shop to get it cleansed and they were unable to clean it. I was told that the module is seal close with no way to get inside of it for cleaning. I will have to send back to JVC and hope they do not tell me I have to buy another Sensor module. Has anyone else tried to clean the sensor?

Luke Miller June 28th, 2017 10:34 AM

Re: Sensor Has Dirt In The Module

Not sure I understand the issue. If you are talking about dust on the sensor's protective glass, it is all readily accessible once you remove the LS300 lens mount cap. Just like a digital still camera. Is there something between the cover glass and the sensor?

Aaron Jones Sr. June 28th, 2017 01:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The sensor module is said to be sealed and you can not open the sensor module once you remove it for the camera. So you can not get to the sensor because the protective glass is the top part and the sensor is the bottom and they are manufacturer sealed together. the tech said that they must have used an epoxy or something similar.

Luke Miller June 28th, 2017 03:22 PM

Since the problem is foreign objects getting inside the "sealed" sensor stack I would think JVC would be very interested. Sounds very much like a manufacturing defect. Possibly they will give you a courtesy repair.

Noa Put June 28th, 2017 04:13 PM

Did you not see this right after you got the camera? Those are some very obvious dirt spots, it's hard not to see them.

Lee Powell June 28th, 2017 04:27 PM

Could it be dirt on one of the ND filters?

Aaron Jones Sr. June 28th, 2017 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Miller (Post 1933894)
Since the problem is foreign objects getting inside the "sealed" sensor stack I would think JVC would be very interested. Sounds very much like a manufacturing defect. Possibly they will give you a courtesy repair.

Well I opened a case on Ebay against the seller to be safe. I purposed if they did not have warranty information to get this resolved then I would like to have a full refund. They responded by saying that the cam has a one year warranty and maybe at the time when they bought it it may have a 3 year extended warranty. They mentioned that they purchased the camera from B&H. So I'm confident this will get taken care of. When I messaged them before opening the case they were kind of nonchalant and said I will be back in the office Thursday. When I open the case and threatened with a full refund they seem to hop right to it and try to contact JVC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1933897)
Did you not see this right after you got the camera? Those are some very obvious dirt spots, it's hard not to see them.

Not right away. I will say this though, it was there while shooting part of my music video. So I believe that it came from what ever part of the module itself half way through my shoot. I checked the footage before and it was not there. When i get to the car scene I noticed it. The next day after shooting it was there and after messing around with it it has disappeared again but now you can see a spot where it was. So to answer you question, no I did not see it at first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Powell (Post 1933900)
Could it be dirt on one of the ND filters?

I can say with out the ND's active the dirt was there. But it could have come from the ND's though. I will habe to check and see if the NDs are inside or outside the sensor module. If they are outside of the module then it is not possible.

Aaron Jones Sr. July 18th, 2017 01:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, so I sent my LS3 in to JVC and just got it back today. It turns out that they had to replace the sensor assembly. The cost was $2950. Thank God for warranty repair. I have attached the part listing that I found online.

PacParts: JVC MP2-0607-00

Luke Miller July 18th, 2017 03:14 PM

Glad JVC covered it and you have it back

John Nantz July 18th, 2017 08:55 PM

Aaron - It's good that it got fixed without having to pay for the part.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Jones Sr. (Post 1933903)
.... I can say with out the ND's active the dirt was there. But it could have come from the ND's though. I will habe to check and see if the NDs are inside or outside the sensor module. If they are outside of the module then it is not possible.

However, It'd sure be nice to know what this "thing" was, where it came from, and how it got in there.Was it a foreign piece of matter or was it a piece of something, like a piece of foam from something inside, for example. Was the particle in there due to handling (like a bump), manufacture, or via lens changing? Is this something that can be avoided?

Anyway, more details from the repair facility would be helpful.

Edit: one could almost buy a new cam for what the part cost (if you had to buy the part).

Aaron Jones Sr. July 18th, 2017 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Nantz (Post 1934509)
Aaron - It's good that it got fixed without having to pay for the part.

However, It'd sure be nice to know what this "thing" was, where it came from, and how it got in there.Was it a foreign piece of matter or was it a piece of something, like a piece of foam from something inside, for example. Was the particle in there due to handling (like a bump), manufacture, or via lens changing? Is this something that can be avoided?

Anyway, more details from the repair facility would be helpful.

Edit: one could almost buy a new cam for what the part cost (if you had to buy the part).

I will give them a call in the morning when they open and inquire. It would have had to be a piece of something from with in. I know this because when I sent it out to a local repair center they told me that the sensor module could not be opened that it is manufacture sealed. When I sent it to JVC they put in another sensor module. This tells me that the object could not have come from outside the module but inside. I will call in the morning and get more information.

Noa Put July 19th, 2017 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Jones Sr. (Post 1934492)
Ok, so I sent my LS3 in to JVC and just got it back today. It turns out that they had to replace the sensor assembly. The cost was $2950. Thank God for warranty repair.[/url]

What a ridiculous estimate that is, and they are actually going to replace the sensor? You can get a new ls300 for 2595 now: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...eld_s35mm.html so it would have been much easier just to send you a new one and use the old one for parts.