Recording Length Clips On LS300 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old January 8th, 2018, 12:23 PM   #1
Major Player

Recording Length Clips On LS300

HEllo0 Fellas,

I have two LS300's as you know but i notice that they have different recording length clips. I have not had the opportunity to read the manual as of yet, but wondering if one of you know where I can adjust the clip lengths so that they are the sam?
LS300 1 is 3:36:06 per clip
LS300 2 is 7:01:12 per clip

how to make the clips the same size?
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2018, 11:54 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: Recording Length Clips On LS300

As far as I know, the LS300 shouldn't have a limit on clip length. There is a spanning option to hop from card A to card B while still recording.

How much free space do you have on each of those two cards on each of those two cameras?

LS300 #1 can record for over 3 hours, the second one for 7 hours. Maybe the first one just has less card space free? If you had two empty cards, both with spanning disabled, they should record for identical lengths.
Steve Ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 01:56 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I would try formatting all the cards in camera to ensure they're totally empty and ready for the camera.

Then double check all of my record settings, is the frame rate, frame size, colour space etc. the same on both cameras? If they are, maybe set them both to a different option (if you normally shoot 4K 422 - try 1080 50p on both) and see if the record lengths match up now.

If that still doesn't help, I'd either try new cards, or at least swap them, so I could see if the difference is with the camera body or the media.

I seem to remember that you use micro sd cards and their adapters in your cams, could that be creating a problem somewhere? is there dust in the converter?

Just throwing some ideas out there. Best of luck!
Nick Haman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 08:07 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I suspect that if you compare the file sizes from the two LS300s you will find they are both just under 4GB. That is the file size limit for FAT32 (the format used for SD cards). The fact that run times are different suggest different recording formats/settings were used.
Luke Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 08:26 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Miller View Post
I suspect that if you compare the file sizes from the two LS300s you will find they are both just under 4GB. That is the file size limit for FAT32 (the format used for SD cards). The fact that run times are different suggest different recording formats/settings were used.
Ah yeah, I read it as 3:36 hrs or 7:01 hrs - which, now that I think about it, is a VERY long time to film onto 1 card.

Per clip, listen to Luke Miller haha. Ensure recording formats/settings are the same on both cams.
Nick Haman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 12:25 AM   #6
New Boot

SDXC cards of 64gb or greater capacity use exFat format. I've had single-file recordings over 10+gb. There shouldn't be much limiting you if you are using SDXC cards. The LS300 can format them exFat from within the camera.
Steve Ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 08:40 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Great info, Steve. Thanks. I was aware of exFAT, but didn't know the LS-300 supported it.
Luke Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders