New GY-HC500U, Viewfinder Problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > JVC CONNECTED CAM Series 4K Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC CONNECTED CAM Series 4K Camera Systems
JVC GY-HC900, HC550, HC500 series 4K camcorders plus associated peripherals.

Old October 24th, 2021, 05:34 PM   #1
Major Player

New GY-HC500U, Viewfinder Problem

I got a GY-HC500U for myself this past September, and it has now developed a problem in the rear viewfinder. There's a diagonal haze over the top-left half of the screen. (See attachment; shot with iPhone through viewfinder.) Has anyone seen anything like this before? Needless to say, I'm attempting to get in touch with JVC Canada about getting it serviced.
Attached Thumbnails
New GY-HC500U, Viewfinder Problem-img_0884_crop.jpg  

Last edited by Earl Thurston; October 24th, 2021 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Wrong product name
Earl Thurston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2021, 07:16 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: New GY-HC500U, Viewfinder Problem

One month ago? If it’s new, take it back to the shop, but by saying ‘getting it serviced’ I assume it’s preloved and out of warranty.

Bad news bix, that could be moisture. I’d contact the seller, if it is moisture there’s bound to be other problems. Good luck.

Cheers.
Old October 24th, 2021, 09:01 PM   #3
Major Player

It's new. I ordered it from Vistek in Toronto, and I sent a message to them as well. However, their online policy states they'll only accept defective returns within 14 days, and this problem manifested yesterday, outside of that window. So, my likely remedy will be service under warranty. There is a JVC-authorized service provider in Richmond, BC, so I'm hoping I can just take it there myself.
Old October 24th, 2021, 09:52 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Mark the problem edge with a removable pen to see if it’s getting any worse.

It’s not from weather condensation in your area is it? You could try satchels of desiccant in the camera bag, to try drying it out. I wouldn’t put any heat on it.

JVC probably won’t look at it when you deliver it but if they tell you the problem is moisture, the viewfinder might need replacing and it’ll probably be elsewhere in the camera, so ask them to check inside for that and take pictures, if they find any.

Cheers.
Old October 24th, 2021, 10:30 PM   #5
Major Player

That's the thing, there's no easy way to get into the viewfinder. The lens itself is sealed, not removable like a typical larger viewfinder. The enclosure is pretty much a solid tube. There's a knurled ring next to the rubber eyepiece, but that's purely decorative, molded directly into the plastic. The only openings are a slot for the focus adjustment at the bottom of that knurled ring, and a small hatch with screws below the hinge. There's definitely no way moisture could have dripped in from above. It either had to have been in there already (lubricant, perhaps?), leaked around the lens seal, or came in as humidity from below. I haven't used the camera in any wet environment. I've barely used it at all besides testing it in my office.

I can probably monitor any changes by taking more pictures over the next few days and layering them up in Photoshop.
Old October 25th, 2021, 03:49 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Sorry, I meant get removable marking pen, and mark the outside edge of the problem on the front face of the viewfinder Earl, just a few spots should do it. And I was thinking of humid conditions in your local area, eg: outside cold with heaters in your office?

However from what you now say it does sound like some form of leak, over the next few days or so, if the problem edge is expanding, try leaving the camera on its side, upright, face down etc. to see if it is a leak. And try Googling for similar problems, the more you can tell JVC when you take it in, usually the more co-operation you’ll get.
Cheers.
Old October 25th, 2021, 04:04 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Umm, hold the phone there guys.................

Leaving aside the bun fight over who's responsibility it is to remedy this situation, if remedy is indeed required, may I skip straight to the screen shot that was attached to the first post?

The viewfinder, although not pristine "as new", appears, for the time being, to be fully functional in that it is still indicating correct data across its entire area (Do let us know if that is NOT the case). That of course MAY change in the future.

Without knowing what production pressures are in play to get paying content from this tool (if any), may I suggest that you, Earl, leave the da*n thing alone, acquire said "content", pursue said "bun fight" and get it fixed at YOUR convenience as and when the time is appropriate and a "fixer" has been identified.

On the other hand, if the viewfinder continues to provide full functionality (assuming it is) despite its lack of sartorial elegance, you may of course decide to adopt a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach, in which case, what's the problem?

The above said in the full knowledge that it ain't MY camera and I most probably don't understand the full situation.

Regards,

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2021, 12:41 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I’m really confused. You bought a new expensive piece of electronics and it’s failed. In the UK legally, it is the responsibility of the seller to rectify this at their cost. They can suggest you send it to the manufacturer, although you don’t have to, it can go back to the seller. Assuming it is not broken, as in you prodded the screen too hard and broke it, you are entitled to a refund, or if you wish, a replacement. Is the law in the US that you buy something, it dies and that is tough? Normally here, you can even get them to arrange collection at their cost. My ebay sales give people a 30 day refund option, for any reason, not even faults.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2021, 10:26 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
I’m really confused. You bought a new expensive piece of electronics and it’s failed. In the UK legally, it is the responsibility of the seller to rectify this at their cost.
The Canadian laws are pretty lax on the subject. "There is no law that says all sellers must take back an item." https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/oca-bc...g/ca02478.html

Most retailers here have either a 14-day or 30-day return policy depending on the product. After that it generally comes down to the warranty provided by the manufacturer.

Fortunately, JVC Canada replied the next business day and recommended I take it to their authorized service provider in Richmond, BC. The fellow there was even expecting my call! I took it there personally, and he seems to think the LCoS display has become delaminated. Just waiting now to find out if he can get the part.
Old November 4th, 2021, 10:31 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
The viewfinder, although not pristine "as new", appears, for the time being, to be fully functional...
You are correct. The display still functions and generates an image. It's just hard to judge exposure when that haze covers a dark scene. If I absolutely had to suffer with it, I could, but I want to have it serviced while it's still under warranty. If any jobs come up in the meantime, I still have my URSA Mini 4K. (The GY-HC500U is meant to be my second, more portable, run-and-gun camera.)
Old November 9th, 2021, 04:39 PM   #11
Major Player

So the latest update. The service provider has determined the viewfinder display module should be replaced. The normal supplier is back-ordered on the parts, but JVC Kenwood has put through an expedited order for them and is working on getting the camera serviced as soon as possible. I'm happy with this. Everyone's efforts have been exemplary.
Old November 9th, 2021, 09:56 PM   #12
Inner Circle

IMO you need to ask JVC what your viewfinder problem actually is Earl, eg: if it is moisture it could be in other parts of your camera eventually giving you more problems.
Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > JVC CONNECTED CAM Series 4K Camera Systems