Manual White Balance Settings (MWB) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old November 12th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #1
New Boot

Manual White Balance Settings (MWB)

Hi Steve,

I ended up buying the handbook, not the guide, for the extra technical information, and I loved it! Great book, and major kudos on helping people to leverage the full potential of the camera.

One comment/question/feedback

I finally got through how to select MWB - It is not really clear from the manual, nor your book, about leaving the joystick depressed until you hear teh two beeps. The manual refers to something blinking and it took me a while to realize it was the green bar blinking, not an icon on the screen.

Also, the manual refers to filling the screen with a white sheet of paper while selecting this option. You did not refer to this in the handbook. Is this necessary? And if so, do you have to "re-calibrate" or "re-select" teh MWB (and do the white page, if applicable) every time you the lighting condition changes?

I hope this makes sense...

Again tahnk you for your help and writting the handbook.
Adrian Vargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #2
Regular Crew

You put a white sheet paper in front of the camera while you white balance it to 'tell' the camera what white is. And yes, it's a good idea to white balance whenever the lighting changes.

You can also get some interesting results by white balancing with something that isn't white. For example, if you white balance using a blue sheet of paper, things look very yellow and dream like.
Ray Grizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 01:42 AM   #3
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Vargas View Post
I finally got through how to select MWB - It is not really clear from the manual, nor your book, about leaving the joystick depressed until you hear teh two beeps. The manual refers to something blinking and it took me a while to realize it was the green bar blinking, not an icon on the screen.
I don't see anything about "blinking" but tonight I did add:
* Focus on a white sheet of paper illuminated by key lighting.
THANK YOU -- some might not know about the need for a white object.

To set white balance:
* Press the F button
* Use the joystick to choose WB. (To select, press the joystick.)
* Use the joystick to choose Auto, MWB (Manual), Fine, Cloudy, or Halogen.
* After you select a white balance setting, press the F button again.

After selecting MWB:
* Press and hold the joystick until you hear two beeps.
* Only then, press the F button. It can take several seconds before the second beep is heard. Wait for this beep.
Old November 13th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #4
New Boot

I might be doing something wrong...

OK, I think I finally got it... I think I was misreading your instructions and trying this as a two-step process, when in reality is a one-step process;
What I was doing was... Selecting MWB as any other setting (by just clicking on the joystick, then the F button, exiting all the menus), and until then (once my screen/viewfinder was back to normal with the MWB icon displayed), I pressed the joystick button for extended periods of time, but nothing happened.

As opposed to the one-step process, something like:

To set white balance and calibrate (only when using MWB):
* Press the F button
* Use the joystick to select/highlight WB (green bar).
* Push the joystick to the right to enter the WB submenu
* Use the joystick to select/highlight MWB (second option from the top)
* Press and hold the joystick until you hear two beeps. After the first beep, the green bar highlighting MWB will blink a couple of times. After the second beep the menu will return to the upper level - highlighting WB, and MWB will be shown as the option selected to the right.
* Press the F button again to exit.

Cheers!
Adrian Vargas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series