Ok clever people can you help me Q2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old November 20th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Ok clever people can you help me Q2

Audio inputs for the HD7.
Ok I have setup a an av cable with a 3.5mm jack to feed a pair of headphones doing it pretty much the way Steve mullen suggests in his excellent manual.
On the input side my question is:
I have a 3.5 mm jack that splits to 2 x mono sockets, this means I can have 2 mikes, 1 on each channel. As the levels in the HD7 are auto, does anybody know of a simple mike level that i can put in line that will let me optimise the sound from each mike before it gets diggested by the camera? Does waht i am thinking make sense or am i being hopelessly optimistic.
As an observation the mike and sound from the on board mike is incredibly good...we just climbed some climbing and with the on baorad mike picked the sound of fingers on the rock 40cm away and the sound of landing when jumping off 3m away at near studio quality. I will see if i can make somekind of of wind muffler to use with it.
Simon Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 09:11 AM   #2
New Boot

In line volume control for microphone

Check out this site, this might be what you are looking for:
http://www.blowsmeaway.com/ordering.html
Jean-Jacques Gaudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 11:08 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks J-J...weird stuff. I have found a beachtek (beachtek.com) and am bidding away on ebay. These units accept XLR and a 3.5 i.e for radio mike and sandwiches under the camera. See how we get on. and keep you posted.
Im in the UK so getting stuff from the US can be expensive on shipping (if not on actual price atthe moment)

S
Old November 23rd, 2007, 07:34 PM   #4
HDV Cinema

[QUOTE=Simon Gee;778567As the levels in the HD7 are auto, does anybody know of a simple mike level that i can put in line that will let me optimise the sound from each mike before it gets diggested by the camera?[/QUOTE]
The H7's AGC -- Auto Gain Control -- for audio is a simple limiter. I'm pretty sure a limiter on EACH channel. This should take care of any mic that is overly loud. If not, then one of the in-line volume controls should work.

So the question becomes -- is one of your mics way too soft. If it's not -- then you don't really need to AMPLIFY its signal.

There's no need to record with near equal levels.

So before buying anything -- test your mics to see how they work.

PS: Simon, note the changes I made.

Last edited by Steve Mullen; November 24th, 2007 at 04:05 PM.
Steve Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #5
HDV Cinema

Simon -- how do you like your JVC mic?

PS: Simon, note the changes I made in the previous post. Did you check your mics.
Old November 24th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Steve
I see waaht you mean, it makes sense. I guess I might not need to adjust anything.
I originally bought a crappy mike 'yoga'- when i got the camera but now I realise that audio is everything...so im going for 1 of these Azden SGM-1X (please don' t say it sucks too!) and a pair of UHF radio mikes...expensive weekend!

As for the JVC onboard mike...excellent sound quality...everything except the music was recorded from the on board mike outside (fortunately not a windy day. I am currently experimenting with making a deadcat type of cover to velcro over the onboard...any particular materials you can reccomend?
S
Old November 24th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #7
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Gee View Post
Azden SGM-1X

I am currently experimenting with making a deadcat type of cover to velcro over the onboard...any particular materials you can reccomend?
S
I tested one of the Azden mics a few years ago. The one with a rigid mount. Picked-up tape transport noise -- so I took it back. This should not be a problem with the HD7. :)

I was asking about the JVC add-on mic in the pix you posted. I'm thinking of getting one to avoid wind noise.

But, if you succeed in wind filter for the onboard mic -- that would be great. A sheet of 1/8 or 1/4 in thick foam should work. Velcro pads to attach. Although nothing may stick to foam. :(

PS1: And, yes -- there would seem to be no need to have equal level mics. You'll adjust in post.

PS2: Before shooting -- go to PLAYBACK mode. Use the ZOOM lever to adjust audio gain to MAX. Now go to SHOOTING mode. If you are lucky, the HD7 will remember the audio level and so you MAY not need your Booster.
Old November 25th, 2007, 03:35 AM   #8
Regular Crew

The Mic in the picture is a crummy model made by Yoga from the UK electronic chain Maplin, its not the JVC model...its very hissy.

Will try the foam and velcro and will when I am finished post my camera mods and final expedition kit...and a picture of the trailer to carry it in.

PS2: I dont undetand how you do this. Whn i go to palyback i get to see te previous captures on the preview screen so when i hit zoom it zooms ito the deatil of a particaulr clip...how do i get to adjust audio gain...is it in your book...which page?
Cheers

S
Simon Gee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series