I've added an Appendix B to the HD7 Handbook. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old June 17th, 2008, 04:04 AM   #1
HDV Cinema

I've added an Appendix B to the HD7 Handbook.

Thanks to Richard raising the issue of long clips.

So I shot over an hour of 1440CBR in one shot. Captured via FW into iMovie 08. Worked fine.

I've added an Appendix B to the HD7 Handbook.

This Appendix B covers:

1) Editing 1440CBR clips longer than 20-minutes that are captured via FireWire.

2) A reference to Chapter 7 for those shooting either 1440CBR or 1440VBR -- with clips under 20-minutes. You'll use the MPEGStreamclip process.

So if you need this information, please send me an email.

If you don't need this immediately information -- please wait a week or so so everyone doesn't send email at the same time.

FullHD shots are limited to 15-minutes. And, 1440VBR shots are limited to 20-minutes. Only if you shoot 1440CBR, can you work with shots longer than 20-minutes.

PS: The Handbook being sent now includes Appendix B. There are no other changes to the Handbook.
Old February 16th, 2011, 12:55 PM   #2
Trustee

iMovie HD6 or iMovie '09? DVD or Blue-ray? 1440CBR or FHD?

Steve, I have a question for you. The eBook you have is obviously written for the HD7 and includes a lot of general information that would be applicable to basically any video editing software program, and a lot of the bood appears to deal with iMovie 08; however, I have iMovie HD6 and iMovie '09, so I've got a few questions.

I've also found that some of my video can be really sharp after editing, and other times it can be of poor quality. I haven't gone back to study what might be causing this because my computer hard drive is too full at the moment and the priority for the moment is to off-load files and free up space. Unfortunately, I've only got a MacBook with a 60G hard drive and freeing up space is easier said than done. I've used my wife's MacBook Pro to burn my DVDs.

One more comment is, I'd really like to have Full HD and burn Blu-ray disks, but my concern is that may not be realistic or very practical. Now the questions.

1. Given the above, which route do you think I should procede with, iMovie HD6 or iMovie '09?

2. Should one be satisfied with DVD quality or, given any additional/incremental cost and effort (since I haven't acquired a Blu-ray burner yet), is going to Blue-ray cost/work effective?

3. Perhaps I should be shooting in 1440CBR instead of FHD?

4. Okay, since I'm on a roll, one more question: Do you think Blu-ray will be around for awhile or might it become another one of those formats that is in the process of fading off into the sunset? In which case, maybe I shouldn't shoot for it (pun intended).

Couple more things: I'd like to maintain the 16:9 format and keep quality loss to a minimum. I'm not into long continuous shots so 15 to 20 minutes isn't an issue for a single clip. It would be occasionally an issue for a single video, though.

P.S. I also have a couple XLR mics (Sennheiser ME66, Rode Stereo[not XLR]), JuicedLink pre, Glidecam Pro 2000, and a couple Cool Light 600s, so I'm fairly ready to roll. There are still a few more things I'd like to get. Also have an M-Audio Pre [see picture of it in my "View Public Profile"] that might be useful for editing audio at some point as I become more adept at video.

Last edited by John Nantz; February 16th, 2011 at 02:20 PM. Reason: added additional information
John Nantz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series