GZ-HD3U PC compatible? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old March 10th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #1
Major Player

GZ-HD3U PC compatible?

Forgive this question if it's stupid, but I need to know if the JVC GZ-HD3U is PC compatible. A friend (who is a youth pastor at a church) told me that after they bought this camera for their youth, the youth told her they can't edit it without a mac. I thought that was absurd, so I had her give me the model number. I can't find anything on it online (just random things here and there, but nothing that is helpful), but I can't imagine JVC making a mac only camera. That's just bad marketing.

I have the camera here, but I edit on a mac, and the only PC I have access to doesn't have a FW port, much less any sort of card reader. On a side note, the only slot I see for a card is an "SD HC" card. I've never used a tapeless camera, so I don't know what is used. Is that what it records to? The same thing my GL2 used to take pictures into?
Old March 12th, 2009, 07:15 PM   #2
Major Player

Like my HD7 this camera produces .tod files, which need workarounds to import into the Mac NLE's. The biggest issue is added workflow time and sometimes increased file sizes, but nothing frightening once the process is understood. From what I understand from reading the extensive information within this particular forum, the download process is much easier with the PC platform. I don't use the PC, so can't offer more useful advice. I suggest you spend a few evenings reading the posts here.

I did a small bit of research before answering you post, and noticed sample video clips attributed to your camera exhibited the same increased saturation my HD7 records. If your NLE allows reduce saturation by 10-15%.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series