GZ cameras with *.tod flies and Final Cut Pro X at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 03:33 PM   #1
Trustee

GZ cameras with *.tod flies and Final Cut Pro X

TOD files are a special breed and if you're reading this you already know that.

While there is a separate Final Cut Pro X forum (at Final Cut Pro X Forum at DVinfo.net), I thought it would be interesting to see if anyone with a camera that uses *.tod files has been using this program. And, if so, I have some questions:

1. What exposure settings were used (f.e., FHD, 1440, 16:9, 4:3, 720p, etc.)
2. Intended destination (CD, DVD, TV, Computer, etc.)
3. What Work Flow was used,
4. Was, or What, Compression was used,
5. Destination results: How did it turn out? Were you happy with the results and if not, what you might try differently next time.

Personally, I've just downloaded FCPX 10.0.2 and I'm trying to figure out how to get my first video through the process. "The devil is in the details" and there are lots of them.

My destination will be either CD or DVD as I prefer to keep a somewhat permanent copy that can be duplicated and shared. I also understand that the disk media is not as permanent as was once thought. A decade ago it was thought that CDs would last for 75 years but this has been significantly downgraded.

I'd also be interested if MPEG Streamclip used (there is a special version for FCPX).
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 05:41 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: GZ cameras with *.tod flies and Final Cut Pro X

John,
I used a GZ-HD7 for two years. I do not use FCP but Media Composer, so my workflow was influenced by MC. With regard to your questions:

1. Full HD 1080i/50
2. DVD/BD
3. Workflow:
a) Save all files on HD using Power Cinema NE for Everio (bypacked by JVC).
b) Import all clips into TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress and convert to Avid DNxHD 120 (1080i/50). Here you may use a different codec setting for FCP.
c) Import (by Avid AMA) all converted clips into Media Composer for editing and export final video as Quicktime Reference Files.
d) Import QT-Reference files into Avid DVD (identical with Sonic/Roxio DVDPro HD).
e) Authoring BD/DVD and create volumes on disk.
f) Burning disk, either with Avid DVD or Nero Burning ROM.

4. Video MPEG 2, 8000kB/s, Audio either Dolby digital, stereo 192kB/s or native PCM stereo 1920kB/s.
5. Result on both, BD and DVD were excellent.

Joachim
Joachim Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #3
Trustee

"Final Cut Pro X" vs "Final Cut Pro 7" and "... Express"

What I'm trying to work with is the Final Cut Pro X (not 7 or Express). The difficulty I'm finding is in just getting started. The first step. Getting out of Square One if you will.

The decision to go with "X" (or "Ten" as it is called), was based on the high cost of 7 (with Studio 4) and the fact that 7 is at the end of it's life, and that Apple is through with it. Another factor is that X is just getting started and I hope as updates come along that some of the lost features that were in 7 will eventually show up. I really wanted something better than iMovie to work with in order to grow my editing and video skills.

Update:
My first assumption is that FCPX doesn't support *.tod files; hence, the plan was to use my old iMovie HD 6 in order to import the *.tod files and get them converted into something that FCPX could edit.

Yesterday I found out that I couldn't import iMovie HD 6 into my computer with Lion. Got an error message that Lion doesn't support that old style software. They used the term something like Power PC or something like that.

Thanks to Jochim's post I discovered that JVC has some new software Power Cinema NE for Enviro and I'll have to check into this some more. My first visit left me confused. Also, my emails back and forth to JVC help desk have not been helpful as of yet. The gal seems to mis-read them (never responded to anything about FCPX) and only answers one question out of the three I asked, etc. Whew!

I feel I've got the computer equipment and FCPX and now I just need to get the workflow and any other supporting software to get started.
Old January 10th, 2012, 11:50 PM   #4
Trustee

Update: Converting *.tod files to *.mov and importing them into FCPX

Things are really looking up.

I don't know when they did it but It turns out that JVC has come up with a way to help us TOD file camera users to convert our files to MOV and this is a good thing. I don't know when they did this because it has been quite a few months since I've been to the JVC web site or talked to anyone at the Support Desk.

The good news is there is an application available now and it can be found at JVC video converter for Mac, Convert JVC camcorder MOD/TOD Video on Mac The cost of the Converter is $35.00 US. This application appears to be written by iOrgSoft.

Additional details on this converter workflow process can be found at How to import JVC MOD/TOD video to Final Cut Pro/Final Cut Express on Mac?

Three days ago I downloaded a Trial Copy of the converter and I've been playing with it. Some searching around reveals the company is located in China, for what it's worth. In the process of searching I came across a number of other firms that also have TOD Converters at the $25.00 level and with the lowest price of $19.95 US.

One problem is that iOrgSoft has a EULA license for only ONE copy. This is very awkward because I have two computers, one desktop and one laptop, while the FCPX EULA allows for TWO copies for the purchaser. This is nice because with two computers like what I have, when I'm away from my desktop I have something I can work with.

The question I would have for any JVC *.tod users is, do any of you use an application other than the iOrgSoft one?

Below is a list of various TOD Converters that I came across today:

avs4you
AVS Video Converter: perfect for home video conversion. Convert video fast & easily!

Mac JVC TOD to MOV Converter
Looks the same as the JVC iOrgSoft converter
How to play and edit JVC Everio TOD files on Mac with JVC Everio TOD to MOV Mac?

iSkysoft
Free
No address or location
How to convert TOD to MP4, AVI, MOV, etc. on Mac OS X?
Tod to Quicktime(.mov) for Mac,Convert .tod to QuickTime .qt on Mac OS

Emicsoft
Cost?
How to convert Tod to MOV on Mac OS X with tod to mov mac

Wondershare Software Co, Ltd
Cost?
No address or location
EULA: two computers
TOD to MOV Mac - How to Convert TOD to MOV on Mac OS X

iOrgSoft?
different colors from the iOrgSoft web site
TOD to MOV Converter Guide - how to convert .tod to .mov video file with TOD to MOV Converter.

todconvertermac
$25.00
TOD to MOV Mac - best helper for you to convert TOD to mov for Mac

Tanbee.com
$39.95
Convert TOD to MOV - TOD to MOV Converter for Mac Free Download

Asus
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- Mac convert TOD to MOV, how to convert TOD to MOV with Mac TOD to MOV Converter?

software-download.com
Convert tod to Mov Osx - Best Way tod to Mov

Company name?
$25.00
Mac TOD Converter to MOV - convert jvc tod to mov video

iCoolsoft Studio
$25.00
iCoolsoft TOD Converter for Mac makes it easier for you to enjoy TOD videos.

Brorsoft
$35.00 for one computer (same as iOrgSoft)
Brorsoft Video Converter for Mac, convert MOV, MVI, VRO, VOB, etc. to Apple ProRes, AIC, MP4, M4V

Doremisoft Mac HD Converter
HD converter for Mac located in China
$39.95
TOD to FCP Converter, Import/edit JVC Everio TOD footages in Final Cut Pro

4Videosoft
best support info page, lots of "How to" flies and videos
$19.95
Mod Converter for Mac - Mac Mod Converter to convert Mod to Video for Mac OS

Last edited by John Nantz; January 11th, 2012 at 12:29 AM. Reason: added location for 4Videosoft
Old January 11th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #5
Trustee

TOD converters at Apple App Store

Buying an app from the Apple App Store should provide a little more confidence that it is free of malicious spyware, pop-ups, and the like.

In a search using "tod converter" as a search term there were three applications that came up and two of them were as follows:

SeaSky Video Converter v1.6
17.5MB Mac OS X 10.5 or later
$9.99 US
support@seasky.co
Total Video Converter - Top 10 Paid Video Converter on Mac App Store

Bigasoft Total Video Converter for Mac v3.5.8
14.0 MB Mac OX X 10.6.6; 25.77MB for free version, web site has v3/5.18
$35.95 US
Works with Lion
Total Video Converter for Mac - Convert and enjoy any video on Mac
Note: the App Store version file size is less than the direct one (good) but the version is also less.

The SeaSky converter is the one that has my interest. At this price it is much cheaper than the $35US JVC supported version.

One question I have is, though, given equal settings would the conversion be the same quality?

If one is looking for a good quality conversion saving a few bucks at this stage isn't the best thing to do.
Old January 15th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #6
Trustee

UPDATE: used "ClipWrap" to convert FHD *.tod files to *.mov

This is an update. I used an application called "ClipWrap" to convert Full High Definition *.tod files into *.mov files for importing into Final Cut Pro X and the conversion was super.

The output video in FCP X looks absolutely great on my 23-inch monitor. The colors were knock-out georgeous, the video was super sharp, and the conversion of a 16-minute video with numerous clips took probably about only 3 minutes. What's there not to like?

There is another post I have over at http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cu...-process.html? about this.

When I'm through editing the video I'll be burning it to a DVD which I'm now aware will cause much of the resolution to be lost, but that's life.

For those who want to edit with iMovie or FCP X, it looks like ClipWrap is a very good way to go.

Last edited by John Nantz; January 16th, 2012 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Spelling: Supper is what you eat, super is something great!
Old March 22nd, 2012, 06:33 AM   #7
HDV Cinema

Re: GZ cameras with *.tod flies and Final Cut Pro X

ClipWrap is a very well reguarded application that solves many problems for folks.

Good find!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series