Nosferatu/ Metropolis - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old September 2nd, 2003, 02:29 PM   #16
Major Player

Yes Brad, and yet, how can it not count? Dv has been used, creatively. In fact the three films I mentioned each did wonderfully soulfully unique things with digital video, and soul really is all that counts. The history of art reveals surprises in what, or how little, can be used to moving effect. We're all making choices on technology, but do they really have to do with the end result? In the end, the materials could never be the point. Maybe this techno quest has some psychological merit, acting as impetus to do greater things, and certainly conventions can dictate what goes in the professional world, but what, say in 80 years, to come full circle, will the viewer's experience and/or judgement be based upon? That it was shot HD? That it wasn't?
Ken, I think I've made unnecessarily flippant remarks at your expense. I apologize. And I hope I haven't made this thread inappropriate to the hd10 post site, certain topics/ideas get me going!

Old September 2nd, 2003, 06:15 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Yes I agree that it is the soul of the film that is most important, and I think that is the point Ken was trying to make when he started this thread. However, I still believe that "Waking Life" is a poor example of a DV film. The filmmakers could have captured the live action using any format, film, HD, or DV it didn't matter because it was all going to be covered up and at a much higher resolution I might add. Which I point out because after all resolution is really the heart of all the debates in this forum. For "Waking Life," they simply chose the format that offered the greatest ease of use as well as the lowest cost, but all of the formats would have provided more or less the same end result. Look at it this way, would you place the Disney classics such as Snow White in the category of 35mm films along with other live action 35mm films simply because the hand painted cells of Snow White were captured frame by frame with a 35mm camera?

Brad

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U