Sony DSR-PD170 Displayed and Announced at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old September 16th, 2003, 11:29 AM   #1
Trustee

Sony DSR-PD170 Displayed and Announced

Hello all,

I'm not sure if anyone here has seen this posting at www.camcorderinfo.com? I haven't see it, so here it is..

I believe that I made a great choice with the HD10U - Sony might not be serious about low-cost HD just yet. Maybe this PD170 is for DV and a HD is around the corner? I'm doubtful if this camera doesn't even have 24P! I'd be interested in hearing comments:

Old September 16th, 2003, 01:11 PM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

There's been a ton of discussion about the PD170 over in the Sony PD150/VX2000 forum here.
Old September 16th, 2003, 02:45 PM   #3
Major Player

I think that both Sony and Canon will not kill their flags over a new format. They will still produce their high end miniDV's and will devellop HDVs as other models. I doubt that the XL2 or VX3000 will be HDV but there will be HDV models from the both of them. They are certainly not stupid as to let this opportunity pass them by. Sony probably will also develop a format of it's own pretty similar to HDV as they usually do, like DVCam was devellopped after miniDV.
http://www.fictis.net
info@fictis.net
Old September 16th, 2003, 04:15 PM   #4
HDV Cinema

<<<-- Originally posted by Eric Bilodeau : I think that both Sony and Canon will not kill their flags over a new format. -->>>

Very true, but note that they are only doing tiny incremental changes. They are in the "making the tail fins higher" mode.

Sony might want to get DV replaced by HDV to get folks using DVCAM rather than DV.

Panasonic certainly has reason not to do HDV. They can keep building on the DVX100.

Plus they have their DV PRO line.

If the do HDV it will be to DVD-RAM.
Old September 16th, 2003, 05:30 PM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Eric Bilodeau : I think that both Sony and Canon will not kill their flags over a new format. They will still produce their high end miniDV's and will devellop HDVs as other models. I doubt that the XL2 or VX3000 will be HDV but there will be HDV models from the both of them. They are certainly not stupid as to let this opportunity pass them by. Sony probably will also develop a format of it's own pretty similar to HDV as they usually do, like DVCam was devellopped after miniDV. -->>>

I think the XL- line will be killed by a Canon HDV camera.

heath
Old September 16th, 2003, 05:44 PM   #6
Major Player

Heath McKnight wrote:
"I think the XL- line will be killed by a Canon HDV camera."

Agreed but then again not anytime soon, more likely in a few years from now. They will do what they can to preserve what they have and HDV as yet to be widely accepted.
info@fictis.net
Old September 16th, 2003, 05:56 PM   #7
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Eric Bilodeau : Heath McKnight wrote:

Agreed but then again not anytime soon, more likely in a few years from now. They will do what they can to preserve what they have and HDV as yet to be widely accepted. -->>>

That may explain why the HD10 is more consumer than pro...How many people (including me) have decided the lack of true manual controls was pushing us to drop the camera in favor of the DVX100 or XL-1s?

If the Sony, Canon, etc. HDV cameras are the same way, it keeps sales of the DV cameras (esp. relatively new ones like the DVX100) up.

heath
Old September 16th, 2003, 05:56 PM   #8
HDV Cinema

<<<-- Originally posted by Eric Bilodeau : Heath McKnight wrote:

Agreed but then again not anytime soon, more likely in a few years from now. They will do what they can to preserve what they have and HDV as yet to be widely accepted. -->>>

I agree.

There is no way to get the light latitude from hi-rez CCD(s) that Canon will likely want. And, three CCDs will push them out of their target market.

I really don't see Canon doing it for at least 18 months.

And, maybe not Panasonic as they are INTO 24p.

That leaves Sony and JVC. These two seem to be working "together." Note JVC calls 1394 i.LINK. Note, JVC has shown a protype BluRay DVD burner. It uses i.LINK with MPEG-2-TS just like Sony's.

Sony already has 2Mpixel CCDs. I think CES will see a Sony HDCam.
Old September 16th, 2003, 07:08 PM   #9
Major Player

Yes Sony is indeed a safe bet... And it will be a pro machine or else, they will not let a machine like the HD10 out.

Let's assume Panasonic are developing their own format like with the DVCPRO50, Matsushita owns the two companies so they should have a leap ahead on that. That may explain the fact that they have not joined the revolution yet. It is probable that this new machine will support 24p since they are pretty much into it.

I also agree with Steve on the Canon assumption, they will not rush a model, but they will deliver one, maybe NAB next year.
info@fictis.net
Old September 16th, 2003, 07:22 PM   #10
MPS Digital Studios

I think costs on a 3 chip model will be too high, and I still stand by my theory that keeping the HD10 consumer-ish keeps the 5000 mini-dv camera's sales up. If Canon can't make cheap 3 chip HDV cameras either, then they'll likely (according to my theory) put out a consumer-ish HDV camera that won't compete with the eventual XL-2. But that asks the question, what will the features on the XL-2 have? (And that's a discussion that belongs in the XL-2 page.)

heath
Old September 16th, 2003, 09:12 PM   #11
Regular Crew

When is the next CES, or NAB?
Old September 17th, 2003, 11:09 AM   #12
Trustee

PD150 (DV) compared to HD10 (HDV) ...my thoughts

I've been using the PD150 for a few years now. It's a great DV camera, no doubt.

However, I really love this new HD10U. It's got a few weird quirks, but I see the potential. I know its to early to say this, but I can't wait to see JVC's next version of it! If they went this far - we know they'll do better the next time around. It could take years, but I've been using the PD150 for years and it looks like the PD170 isn't going to be worth the upgrade. However, this HD10U is good now...just a few tweaks and it will blow away every DV image on the market. I know...the tweaks are quite large.

I've done a test running RGB into a regular television set - the image is "film" like compaired to the PD150. Whenever I shoot with the PD150 it's nice, but "film" look is grainy. The HD10U is clearer and seems to be more pleasing. Everyone I have shown the output to NTSC has said it's better than the PD150...and that's on a NTSC television. My HDTV at home..that's another story!

I for one will never go back to DV (for personal use to shoot digital films and television shows)....it's HD from this point forward. I'm pushing my day job (cable access television) to get into HDV, so I imagine lots more people out there are doing it too.

In a short time, I bet we'll be seeing HDV productions everywhere. I plan to shoot constantly now...I'm in love with the real estate this image provides. I'll look at 4:3 and then 16:9....and it's like giving an artist more canvas space to paint. It's a no brainer!

Once again, I like the PD150 for DV recording. It's great for run and gun...the auto features are great for getting that quick image you need. I'd take that before the HD10 on a promo shoot. However, I'd take the HD10 with me if I had some time to setup a shot....anyone share that idea?

Chris Murphy
Old September 17th, 2003, 11:38 AM   #13
Major Player

I share pretty much the same assesment. HDV is the next step. I might still shoot in Dv for some corporate productions but for my films HDV is my new standard.
info@fictis.net
Old September 17th, 2003, 11:52 AM   #14
Major Player

Christopher, I absolutely share your sentiments regarding HDV, it's very hard for me to look at a DV image now and feel excited about it, I look for details in it that simply are not there! I'm glad I got in on the ground floor with this camera, despite it's many problems. The beautiful images you can capture make it all worthwhile, and when a better HDV cam comes along with more professional features, you can bet I'll upgrade, but I think that could be a year or more out. For now I'm very happy with what I've got in the HD1OU.
Old September 17th, 2003, 01:54 PM   #15
MPS Digital Studios

A buddy of mine, who frequently uses the CineAlta, is actually psyched to shoot something with me next month on the HD10! That would be pretty cool, and I'll post up footage and such.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U