Picture Quality *To The Average Person* - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old October 10th, 2003, 07:43 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Did you find that the edge enhancement is in vertical direction only? In an interlaced TV it is easier to make enhancement horizontally with a delay line in a camera. I found nothing like this in GR-HD1. This why this effect is so annoying. We are not used to this :-) . I bet that it is done in software. It is easier for a progressive scan.
Old October 10th, 2003, 07:53 PM   #32
HDV Cinema

According to JVC the HD10 was tuned -- meaning EE reduced -- on the HD10.

And if you read Widescreen Review's interview with JVC, it is clear they feel consumers do not see a sharp image without EE. Same theory as SVA on TVs.

The problem with EE will not highly visible in stills. It increases aliasing which shows up in moving images.

But, I'm at a loss to see the point of the debate. It's bad. And it's present in the HD1. Don't try to save money. And I would not fantisize about altering HD1s.
Old October 11th, 2003, 08:59 AM   #33
Major Player

I think Steve nailed it, don't bother hoping the problem could be fixed, if you don't want EE, buy the HD10.
http://www.fictis.net
info@fictis.net

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U