HD-10 for green screen ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old November 8th, 2003, 10:25 PM   #1
Tourist

HD-10 for green screen ?

Hi everybody !
Were're currently planning on buying a HD-10, for semi-pro purpose... But I read on camcorderinfo that color noise on the footage makes it impossible to use for chroma key. Does anybody tried it ? DV is really bad, for chroma keying, but I did a lot of good mattes out of the XL-1... So I'm wondering if there is a way to do the same, or even better, with the HD-10.
We do not need perfect matte, since we can't afford a real professionnal cam, but I must know if it's possible to make some "acceptable" chroma keying from this cam...
Old November 9th, 2003, 12:42 PM   #2
MPS Digital Studios

Not to sound like a jerk, but why not try it out and post up the results. I have NO clue, but am interested.

We shot a short film on an XL-1 that has some blue screen in it. It's a little "confection" romantic comedy that takes place in Paris via CGI (fake window, big bluescreen for a patio scene, art to be put on the wall, etc.).

We wouldn't mind trying this out one day on the HD10, too!

Thanks,

heath
Old November 9th, 2003, 04:03 PM   #3
Trustee

Please see here:

http://lumieremedia.com/hdv/viewtopic.php?p=73#73
Old November 10th, 2003, 08:14 AM   #4
Tourist

Thanks a lot, Alex, that is what I wanted to see... It seems that with proper lighting and setup, good screens can be achieved with this cam, and we'll get one very soon. So we will be able to post our own test !
Old November 10th, 2003, 08:30 AM   #5
Trustee

Ariel, you're welcome!

The positive info re. GS work with HD10 does contradict my own experience, but I do trust that Eric et al have more experience and know better.

Looks like they had better luck with light green screens (surprising to me, as I notice a lot of green chroma noise in the cam's footage, so in my mind, this would render green screens useless. Go figure).

I'm glad that forums allow all of us to exchange opinions and know-how, so we can actually use the darn thing :)
Old November 10th, 2003, 08:47 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

I thought there were some green-screen HD10 examples around somewhere. If anybody has any stills or a sjort clip they'd like to post, I'd be happy to host 'em.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U