Colors--what are your impressions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old November 20th, 2003, 12:39 AM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

Colors--what are your impressions?

How do colors hold up for you all? With the one chip, resolution aside, how are the colors looking? I'm curious.

Anyone do some tests?

heath
Old November 20th, 2003, 03:13 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Aside from the color noise, which seems to be much less noticeable on crt TV's. I like the colors, especially blacks. You can always crank them up in post.

Not seeing it coming, I've really taken to the "look" of the HD10 (the one I have, Don't know about the HD1) As I learn more and more how to use it well, I really love what can be done. NO other camera in this price range can come close.
Old November 24th, 2003, 01:58 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Many complain about the colors, but I've been playing with them in post and its not that bad. Not nearly as good as a 3CCD DV color, but not bad.
Old November 24th, 2003, 03:03 AM   #4
New Boot

As long as the lighting ratio isn't too extreme, the colors are "natural" especially in the upper mid-tones. I find that shooting with the camera is similar to shooting with a color reveral film. You seem to get at least a stop more than with typical SD DV cameras. There is more noise in the blue channel. But, this is common with digital video. Sometimes in the shadows there are color artifacts. The camera renders images fairly plainly. I find this a big plus as you can do a lot in post. Overall, the resolution, the good mpeg compression, the lack of smearing, and it's rendering of luminance seem the most important in terms of image quality.

Geoff Pepos

Rhythm Films

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U