What other HD cams are coming out? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old December 21st, 2003, 07:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What other HD cams are coming out?

Besides the JVCs, which other low-cost HD cams are on the way?

Me? I'd like one that shoots 1080 HD 24fps, 1 or 3 chip, optional lenses or at least an adapter to allow extra lenses to be added onto it...

I saw footage from the JVC, and while it looks great, it could be better color-wise.
Old December 21st, 2003, 07:28 PM   #2
Outer Circle

Perhaps NAB 2004 will reveal some new consumer MPEG2 HD cams.
Old December 21st, 2003, 10:00 PM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

No announcements have been made from any manufacturer yet.

The HDV standard was endorsed by JVC, Sony, Canon and Sharp, so it's reasonable to expect that those companies could be working on new HDV cameras. The HDV standard calls for 1440 x 1080 at 50i and at 60i, as well as 1280 x 720 at 25p, in addition to the 720/30P offered by the JVC.

You will not see 1080/24P. That was not included in the official standard (although, that standard is subject to revision, I guess).
Old December 27th, 2003, 01:12 PM   #4
Regular Crew

rumored new hdv cams

In the dv.com forums I found a bit about what might appear at NAB 2004. Of course, probably just a rumor, but a part of me thinks, what if it's not a rumor!

"Canon will be introducing HDV camcorder with separate lenses and 3 CCDs. It will have 16:9 chips and 24p. It will shoot 720p and will represent serious competition to the Varicam image-quality-wise, less the slow motion feature."

You can find the whole, original post and dissenting replies here:

http://dv.com/jive3/thread.jspa?thre...00242&tstart=0
Old December 27th, 2003, 01:16 PM   #5

Re: What other HD cams are coming out?

<<<-- Originally posted by Ted Bragg : Besides the JVCs, which other low-cost HD cams are on the way?

Me? I'd like one that shoots 1080 HD 24fps, 1 or 3 chip, optional lenses or at least an adapter to allow extra lenses to be added onto it...

I saw footage from the JVC, and while it looks great, it could be better color-wise. -->>>

Hi Ted,

How much are you willing to pay for a 3-chip version?

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Old December 27th, 2003, 03:38 PM   #6
Major Player

I wish they didn't fixate on the HDV standard. It's a shame that mpeg2 is still being used for future products. The limit they will be bumping into with HDV , quality wise, will be the Mpeg2 compression. Mpeg4 looks the same at half the bits per second.
While it may take a while longer to get Mpeg4 compression engine chips to work at HD rates, it's coming. Look at the new Panasonic micro camcorder, it uses no tape, and does mpeg4.
Mpeg2 is so 'nineties' tech.
-Les
Old December 27th, 2003, 06:33 PM   #7
Trustee

It is exciting that Canon is (possibly) getting ready to launch an XL2, it will be a nice machine for sure, but the $price will be high. $6000 list or higher is my guess. As well we know the JVC engineers can't be sitting on their asses this whole time, so expect an XL2 rival from JVC at the same time. JVC is not going to pioneer this new tech than roll over and die. The HD10 may hold a niche for a while yet given its price.
Ken
Old January 4th, 2004, 09:14 PM   #8
New Boot

How soon do things hit the market after NAB?
Old January 4th, 2004, 11:49 PM   #9
Barry Wan Kenobi

They could be announced for immediate availability, or they could take months. The DVX100 was announced at an NAB show in April 2002, but was also announced that it wouldn't be available until October.

Sometimes manufacturers show product that they have no definite release date for.

So just because something may be announced at NAB, that's no guide as to when it may be available -- it could be days, weeks, months, years... it all depends on the particular product announcement.
Old January 5th, 2004, 12:40 AM   #10
New Boot

CES 2004

I know nothing about how or when these companies introduce their products, but I heard that the CES is in Vegas this upcoming weekend - I assume camcorders fall into this category. Does anything ever get announced at these shows? I am about to buy a HD1 from B&H - should I wait til after the show (in case Sony/Canon announces a camera or something)?

Just curious if anyone knows or has advice?
Old January 5th, 2004, 12:56 AM   #11
New Boot

Thank you Barry for that information.

Evan, I would wait just because the JVC is the primitive HD camcorder at the moment... If Canon comes out with an HD cam it will blow away the JVC... Save your money... But it's understandable if you have a project you want to do and you don't want to wait around any longer. That's kind of the position I'm in at the moment.... Waiting for the right cam... (sigh)
Old January 5th, 2004, 01:39 AM   #12
New Boot

Mark, the project (so to speak) is due soon - my wife is 7 months pregnant and I want to have a camcorder before my baby boy is born - I am running out of time to wait for Canon and so I am probably going to bit the bullet and go with the HD1.
Old January 5th, 2004, 03:13 AM   #13
Trustee

My guess is if something else is announced it will be expensive. It won't cost less than a HD1 for sure. JVC was getting little market penetration and so had little to loose by pushing this cam. Canon and Sony will not be introducing HDV cams to compete with their successful consumer lines, at least not initially. So if your already getting a HD1 over a HD10 than I think your purchase is safe.
Ken
Old January 5th, 2004, 08:55 AM   #14
Major Player

Tell your wife to at least wait until April's NAB. The "serious" camcorders won't be announced at January's CES.
Old January 5th, 2004, 11:08 AM   #15
New Boot

Not going to wait.

Lynne, I can assure you that she will not agree to waiting an extra month - in fact I think it would probably be best that I don't even propose the idea. So, it looks like I will be putting in my HD1 order this week.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U