Matte box recommendations? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old December 31st, 2003, 04:32 PM   #16
MPS Digital Studios

Interesting. I'll check it out in a bit! Time for a SUPER late lunch (or early dinner).

Take care all!

heath
Old January 7th, 2004, 01:30 PM   #17
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Les Dit : Umm, you guys know that CCD's are blind to UV right?
Only very fancy back thinned CCDs pick up UV.

Same thing about UV filters for still camera films. An Eastman engineer told me that Kodak films, since cheap disposable cams with UV transmissive lenses came about, they started coating the actual film with a UV absorber as a first layer. So 'true' UV filters are a waste. -->>>

I use one on every camera I shoot with as a safety for the lens. I'd rather have an under $100 UV filter get scratched, and pitch it and buy a new one, then have my oh-dear-lord-that-was-a-lot-of-money lens get scratched, and have to pay to have it repaired or replaced.

Oh, btw, love the Cokin system. I use it for my small DV cam that I use for freelance / fun projects. Inexpensive but effective.
Old January 7th, 2004, 01:57 PM   #18
MPS Digital Studios

Which ones do you recommend, Jeremiah, in the Cokin system? A or P series?

heath
Old January 11th, 2004, 06:59 PM   #19
Regular Crew

It depends on the size of the lens you're shooting with. In my case, I use "P".
Old January 26th, 2004, 08:11 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Anyone have any experience with Petroff matteboxes???

http://www.petroff.ws

Trying to find any shred of opinion from people..

Thanks
Old April 27th, 2004, 11:39 AM   #21
Trustee

I thought I would dig up this matte box thread as I am about to purchase.
I have decided on the Cavision 3x3. Mostly for cost reasons for it and the smaller filters. It accepts 3x3 filters as well as Colkin P series. I am going to purchase 2 Colkin P series circular polarizers to act as a variable ND. Good choice? Would it be worth it to go for the Tiffen Ultra Pol's?
I will also be getting a wide angle adaptor, .65x with zoom through. I have been told that because of the HD10 small barrel size that there won't be clipping with this 3x3 matte box. Anyone know if this is true?
Ken
Old April 27th, 2004, 01:06 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Ken, The best mattebox I saw at NAB for the HD10U was the one from Cinetech, but it is expensive. http://www.cinetechonline.com/JVCHDTV.html
Old April 27th, 2004, 01:21 PM   #23
Trustee

Nice, but I'm locked on the Cavision 3x3 because of cost.
Ken
Old April 29th, 2004, 12:27 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Ken,
The P.Series filters wont fit the 4x4 Matte Box only the 3x3 ?
Gabor
Old April 29th, 2004, 07:56 PM   #25
Trustee

It doesn't say. My guess is that the Colkin "P" series filters are about the same size as the 3'x3' filters that it uses. Probably too small for 4'x4'.
Ken
Old April 29th, 2004, 08:55 PM   #26
Major Player

Beware getting locked into older square sized filter systems. 3x3's are getting hard to come by. According to Stan Wallace at the The Filter Gallery in New York, Tiffen (among others) no longer supports or manufactures anything smaller than a 4x4 in a square series. If you are going to sink your hard earned dollars into a lifelong set of tools such as a set of professional filters, I would suggest that you make the move to 4x4 at the smallest. The 4x4's and the 4x5.6's seem to be the most "standardized" size among the mattebox systems and the most adaptable to the array of lenses I've encountered.

Of course, the cheaper resin filter systems like the Cokin P series (85mmx85mm) will always be a good buy since they're cheap and damn near expendable.

Any filter that I intend to use for the rest of my career, I buy in a glass 4x4 size. Anything I just want to play around with or just a cheesy FX filter, I buy a resin in the size applicable to the system I need to work with.

Also, bear in mind that it's not usually wise to purchase some big fancy system adapted to the particular camcorder du jour. Technology moves fast. If you can't adapt your mattebox and filter system to other cameras and lenses long after your HD10 or DVX-whatever is dead and gone, then you kinda wasted your money...
Old April 29th, 2004, 08:56 PM   #27
MPS Digital Studios

Good to have you back, Jon!

heath
Old April 29th, 2004, 10:24 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Jon,
are the P.series will fit in the 4x4 Matte box or they will be too small ??
Gabor
Old April 29th, 2004, 10:32 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Z-Pro

I just read that Cokin has a Z-pro filters which are 4x4 in size.
They are much cheaper than the regular 4x4 filters so I guess as Jon said they are good for playing around....
Gabor
Old April 30th, 2004, 10:38 AM   #30
Major Player

Thanks Heath! Just wrapped up feature number 5 and I'm moving right onto a new HDCAM short in two weeks. I'll email you later and catch up.

Gabor,

The P series are 85mm x 85mm (about 3 1/4 by 3 1/4) and are a bit too small to properly fit in a 4x4 tray. I'm aware of the Cokin X-Pro series, but not the Z. The Cokin filters are likely cheaper since they're resin. So yeah, to experiment with or for an expendable effect, they do the job.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U