JY-HD10U vs DVX100 ? Round2 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old January 29th, 2004, 05:47 PM   #16
MPS Digital Studios

Agus,

You really have to think to yourself what's the best. If they want your show, you may have to buy which ever camera best suits your need. If you depend on us, you'll never get a definitive answer.

You've read the pros and cons of both cameras, but the ultimate decision is up to you. I certainly hope you've read reviews by doing searches online for them, right? Just type HD10 Review or DVX100 Review into google.com and you're set.

Again, the decision is ultimately up to you.

Good luck!

heath
Old January 29th, 2004, 05:58 PM   #17
Trustee

Barry, good to hear that there's no problems. I was going by other MPG2 streams I've pulled into Vegas. Thumbnails take along time to show. Playback start time is delayed. The whole system, with what I tried was not responsive at all. If it's different with HD10U footage then great!

Aaron
Old January 29th, 2004, 06:14 PM   #18
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Aaron,

It is not easier with HDV, decoding and editing MPEG is aways a CPU Load. It is harder infact than your previous MPEG experiences because the resolution is now higher. Barry is correct you can edit in Vegas, if you have enough CPU power the single streams should be smooth and the transitions will not stutter too much. It is because MPEG is so inefficient for editing that CineForm has a different approach. We have two products for making HD (and HDV) editing easier. Connect HD accelerates Vegas for up to 3 times improvement in editing speed and preview performance over MPEG editing ($499.) Aspect HD for true real-time editing under Adobe Premiere which a performance 6-8 times faster than Adobe running uncompressed or HUFFYUV ($1200.) Check out cineform.com for details.
Old January 30th, 2004, 03:56 PM   #19
Major Player

If you've read some of my other posts, you realize that I'm probably the only person alive that actually EDITS with the KDDI-JVC software. That program appears to edit in native m2t format. It is possible to display a strip which identifies each frame type. When you look at rendered edits, you usually find shortened GOPs around edits (and other effects). It is not necessary to have full 6 frame GOPs, since a header in each sets the parameter for that GOP. By taking this approach, it is not necessary to re-render every group in your show. This makes things much faster. My rendering time is just a little longer than real time with my P3-900 (with minimal effects). Thats for M2T - MPG2 NTSC is about 10 times as long - ugh!

I keep looking for a GOOD program that does native M2T editing. That would seem to me to be the best approach to maintain efficiency and quality - same advantantages as native DV editing.
Old February 6th, 2004, 12:18 PM   #20
Regular Crew

For what this is worth, I have a DVD from ProMax that puts the DVX100 side by side with a Sony PD150. I think the purpose of the disc is to show how much more "filmic" the DVX100 is when used in a studio setting.

To my eyes when playing back the DVD on a progressive scan player into my HD system, I thought the Sony actually looked better. The colors had a much richer saturation. Having said that - neither camera is anamorphic 16/9. They had simply letterboxed the footage to make it look "like" widescreen. Also both cameras had all the usual SD resolution jaggies, especially smearing around reds.

I have footage from both the JVC GRD-1 and HD10U that was not shot in a professional setting, that totally blows away both of these cams.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U