35mm lenses on HD10? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old May 18th, 2004, 10:50 PM   #61
New Boot

Hi Alex, etc,

as previously posted Minolta screens are great- but couldn't find one without markings- sounds like this Type "C" is the answer. However there is hint of grain

Here is another twist.

I actually like some grain in GG- but because it is the same in every frame looks wrong.

In film of course one has grain but it is different pattern in every frame- so distincly a "film look".

What about moving the GG screen slightly, and slowly so that although the grain is not blurred, it is different in every captured frame??

Vincent
Old May 19th, 2004, 10:51 AM   #62
Trustee

Seems like the screen type C is *not* made with the same microlens technology taht produces grainless image? Judging by price, microlens-made type G is also 50% more expensive than C.

David: the markings are faint on the image that was displayed online when I bought the screen, to the point that I thought it was a clear screen. In reality they are engraved into the flat surface (the G screen is acually a fresnel, so it does have a curvy side that faces the cam in my mini35 adapter). I was hoping that the marks are painted and thus I could remove them - but this does not seem to be the case.
Old May 19th, 2004, 11:06 AM   #63
Regular Crew

Any thoughts on the BeattieScreens? They purport to be way brighter and from their descriptions look like a fresnelized GG like you describe of the Minolta. They definitely have clear (in about 1000 different shapes - mounted in frames, etc.)
Old May 19th, 2004, 11:07 AM   #64
Regular Crew

Beattie Link

http://www.intenscreen.com/
Old May 19th, 2004, 11:28 AM   #65
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Alex,

I was actual suggesting a software filter to remove any distortions the markings produce in the output stream. This would greatly depends on who damaging the markings have on the final image.
Old May 19th, 2004, 11:42 AM   #66
Trustee

David, I would not rely on software for that... If we are panning, then the software may have enough info to remove the "obstructing" markings; but what if the image is static?

BTW, I did understand your question correctly, then jumped through the thought as above and posted my reply accordingly. Sorry, too many things going on, I'll try to be more coherent next time :)
Old May 19th, 2004, 11:54 AM   #67
MPS Digital Studios

This is turning into a great conversation!

heath
Old May 20th, 2004, 02:10 PM   #68
New Boot

I found a microlens focus screen without any markings here:

http://www.intenscreen.com/products_...mat_contax.htm

I ordered it from B&H for $79.95 here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont....x=4&image.y=5

I will let you know if it works when it comes in. It is a special order item which means no return and it will take two weeks to get here.

Roger
Old May 20th, 2004, 02:14 PM   #69
Regular Crew

Focus Screen

How about finding a grainless focus screen for a medium format camera (with marking or without) ? It may be big enough that breaking off only a portion of it without the marking would work well. What do you think?

Right now, for testing purposes I'm just using a piece of plastic diffusion cut to the size of a 35mm frame and stuck flushly against my condenser. Could a similar piece of a focus screen work? If the screen was big enough.

John
Old May 20th, 2004, 02:33 PM   #70
Trustee

John,

I was trying to go that way, but Minolta support could *not* tell me which of their larger focus screens are made with microlens technology. left a message with Minolta engineers but wouldn't hold my breath for them returning the call...
Old June 10th, 2004, 03:48 PM   #71

Alex,

This is very interesting. How is this project coming along? Have you heard from Minolta? Would not Nikon or Canon have similar screens? I'm surprised that here are a lot of Canon people on this site. Maybe someone could help.

Mike
Old June 10th, 2004, 07:42 PM   #72
Trustee

Mike and all,

Minolta does not seem to have any acute matte aspherical microlens screens *without* markings and/or grid.

I asked them to produce a custom focus screen for me without markings for $$$, but their Japanese guys are not interested.

According to Minolta engineers, said focus screens are made in 100,000s at once for years in advance.

Originally these screens did NOT have markings. However they were etched later on all of them.

And no, minolta did not keep any of the original unmarked focus screens that could be traced...

One more bummer: there's a very small, faint circle right in the middle of the focus screen. It seems to be INSIDE the plastic, having nothing to do with markings per se.

So even when markings are not there, the circle will still show.

I do not know whether the circle is part of the focus screen design or a fresnel artifact or what.

All in all, best shot seems to have this focus screen custom-made (in which case I'd prefer it as a circle 49mm in diameter so it'd fit inside the 52mm filter ring) by some optical company that possesses the microlens technology.

Any leads?
Old June 12th, 2004, 08:25 PM   #73
Major Player

Some Leads

Reflexite Display Optics
1300 Mt. Read Blvd.
Rochester, NY 14606 USA
585-647-1140, fax 585-254-4940
http://www.display-optics.com/pdf/focusing_screens.PDF

Also, Olympus seems to use microlens focusing screens too - maybe someone can track down a clear one?

http://focuscamera.com/prods/964590614.asp
Old June 13th, 2004, 09:03 PM   #74
Inner Circle

HI Guys

By the look of it they will do custom orders, over at the Static thread they are looking into it. I think it canbe made fine enough for HD (which might fit in with the Static thread order):

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&pagenumber=21

(if it comes out with the wrong page, times the page nuimber by 2 or 4, I'm using 50 or 100 posts per page)

They also found a very fine Nikon type D, unmarked matte screen:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&pagenumber=23

Wayne.
Old June 13th, 2004, 09:14 PM   #75
Major Player

Unfortunately the grains on the Nikon type D are too large for HD use unless vibrated.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U