Should i buy the HD1? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old May 21st, 2005, 10:43 AM   #16
Trustee

In general terms, you are probably correct.

In my case, I will be carrying a Sony HDR-FX1 on vacation to Greece in June. While I always carry a tripod so I can get into my own shots as well as get steady shots, I also have found that there are places where a tripod is not allowed. Like Chichen Itza in Mexico. Either because the guards have decided that a tripod means you are a professional and need a license to shoot, or because they do not allow tripods at all since some people don't know to make sure they do not scratch the floor.

So for those occasions, I will now also be carrying the DVRigJunior. To avoid shaky shots. I get a little smoother shots when moving because of the smooth spring loaded suspension support pod, but not as good as a stabilizer for walking. But a stabilizer works because of the weights. And climbing innumerable steps with the extra weight is not a viable option.

I believe that under these conditions, the FX1 is fine, and the JVC would be equally fine. I prefer the footage from the FX1, but unless you compare the HD1 footage to the FX1 footage side-by-side, I think you would be generally impressed with the HD1 footage in comparison to uprezzed DV.
Old May 21st, 2005, 02:03 PM   #17
Trustee

Steven have you compared footage of an HD10 with an FX1 side by side?
Old May 22nd, 2005, 12:33 AM   #18
Trustee

Not side by side unfortunately. Not the same footage anyway. I did have a chance to review a Royalty Free Collection that actually had some pretty decent shots. And the footage looked good on the 60" Sony HDTV.

Let me say that I don't produce for broadcast. If it looks good on a HDTV, then that's good enough for me. When played via the AVeL Linkplayer on a television that has 1280X720 pixels, the HD1 footage looked fine. I thought it lacked the color definition of the Sony, but one chip vs three might have had something to do with that.

Compared to a one chip DV camera, it was certainly a huge improvement.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U