HD10u Redrock M2 low light test footage downlods at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old January 26th, 2006, 12:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HD10u Redrock M2 low light test footage downlods

I shot some low light test footage with the new Redrock M2 adapter using a Nikon 85mm 1.8.
I onlly had one 150 watt bulb off to my left.. no gain on the camera.

Canera was the JVC HD10u

I heard that the Redrock micro was good in low light.. After viewing the footage I aggree. I think i should ahve stopped the lens to 2.8.... Because it kind of washed me out in some of the shot..

Take a look at the color rendition.. I think it is pretty clean for a 1 chip camera. i did color correct..

Here are 2 links one is the full color corrected shot.

The other is a side by side comparison of the original, Magic Bullet and my own color correcting.

I think Magic bullet was the worst, but only due to the fact I did not tweak it... It looks kind of Sci fi...

Side by side images 9 megs
http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php...7848beb0a322e6

Color corrected 25megs
http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php...eb920e6524fe02

Let me know what you think.. good bad or indifferent..

Also just a note. I captured with cineform. Then color corrected one, Added magic bullet generic preset to one and then left one untouched.

I converted that to a 720P WMV 6mbs file.
Then converted that to a Divx file..... all files are in Divx format.
If you really want to see the whole boring thing about 6 minutes of footage but higher quality then use this link...

56mb test shot..
http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php...5248aab6c3724d
Old January 27th, 2006, 04:50 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Great post.

i have a hd10u, and im very interested in buying an adaptor.

what adaptor do you think its better? M2 or Letus35?

ciao
Old January 27th, 2006, 07:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

M2

I would say the M2 is better in low light.. But the Letuse35 is pretty dang good for the price... If you plan on doing professional shoots or a movie get the M2.. If you are doing home stuff or personal shoots the Letus35 is fine...
Old February 15th, 2006, 10:45 PM   #4
Regular Crew

low light test footage

Low light test...

Multifilmlooks wmv

http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php...275f939756c58d

Angie
http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php...a4d8569d48a7de

900 Mile divx file..... Pretty good looking images...

900 mile files

http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php...79218e9038fc2f

Last edited by Erick von Schulz; February 16th, 2006 at 10:22 AM.
Old February 15th, 2006, 11:20 PM   #5
New Boot

Watched Multifilmlooks.wmv and was pretty impressed with the quality "film look" especially with a one chip camera. I'm not new to video but I am new to making it look like film. I'm finding that shallow depth of field does more to make video look like film than shooting 24p (assuming you could only have one).

Thanks for the clip!
Old March 11th, 2006, 02:57 PM   #6
Trustee

You have become the resident HD10 35mm adaptor guru here by default Erick. So I hope you don't mind the questions.
Is the stock HD10 lens removed when you add an adaptor such as the M2?
Are you noticing better low light performance with the adaptor and appropriate high speed lens over the stock Hd10 lens?
Any chance you could post a picture of the cam with the M2 adaptor so we could see what it looks like?
Thanks
Old March 12th, 2006, 12:50 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hd10

No the stock lens stays on the camera.. I do have a picture posted online somewhere.. I will find it and add the link......

The way the M2 and the Letuse35 works is by allowing the use of 35mm lenses with the original camera lens.. There is a spinning or vibrating glass that the camera records from.. So you get the 35mm Depth of Field... I think the camera gets way better low light performance with the adapter if you use very fast lenses.. Like any lens with a 2.0 or faster lens.. I like the F1.4 and F1.2's... by nikon.. you can still find them on Ebay and on the Net cheap.. but since so many people are using them for the 35mm adapters I have noticed the prices are rising.. Look for Manual focus lenses as well.. Forget about Auto Focus ones... unless you already happen to own some... I have seen 50mm F1.4 Nikon rimes for as little as 35.00 some as high as 200.00.. You just have to keep your eye open.. I just bought a 55mm F1.2 For 150.00 And it works incredible in low light.... Also You can get a Nikon 85mm F1.8 for under 149.00 sometimes for as little as 50.00... These are great for shallow depth of Field and gives a great movie look as well....
Old March 13th, 2006, 06:25 PM   #8
Trustee

Thanks for the reply. It stands to reason that the faster the lens you use with the adaptor the better the light capability, but aren't we ultimately limited by the stock lens? Or does some how the adaptor lens allow more light to be pulled in transfering a better low light image to the stock lens? I am very curious as to how the optics work.
I am constanly fighting chroma noise with our cam, and less than optimal light seems to increase it dramatically. Yet you dark footage with the M2 seems quite good.
Old March 13th, 2006, 11:19 PM   #9
Regular Crew

M2 adapter

Here is my opinion of what is going on with the 35mm lens adapters out there.... With the f1.4 and F1.2 lenses they gather more light and give great shadow detail and shallow depth of field.... This image is projected on the glass that the camera focuses on.. Since the camera only has to focus an an image generated from a 35mm lens with all of it's characteristics... This image is easily cptured with the camcorder and retains all the details of the 35mm lens...

The Redrockmicro is the only lens adapter out there that has almost no light loss.. I think they say it loses a stop or so.. But I have not noticed this with my own tests...

The letus35a loses at least 1 1/2 stops..

The PS technik loses at least a stop as well....

I hope this helps you...
Old March 14th, 2006, 01:35 AM   #10
Trustee

It does help, thanks.
So it is stated as a one stop light loss with the M2, but you don't seem to notice this drop. Good to hear. I am kind of afraid being that my cam is quite poor low light that one more stop down would really suck. I wonder how much variance there is with our cams as far as firmware or actual sensor optics. Are all our HD10's the same?
Old March 14th, 2006, 03:04 AM   #11
Regular Crew

firmware HD10U

I don't know about which firmware.. but my camera sucks in low light... But with the Redrock I get pretty darn good low light perfomane.. I had it serviced about two months ago.. So we probably have the same setup....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U