HD-1, HC1 or some one chip camera? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old March 3rd, 2006, 09:45 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Jvc Hd10u For Weddings

[QUOTE=Erick von Schulz]The HD10 is not that great in low light.. However..

Question: When you say the HD10U is "Not that great" in low light, do you mean it is worse than let's say a Sony VX1000 or a 1CCD minidv cam? If I were to shoot a wedding reception, would the JVC HD10U give me a fuzzy picture during a couple's first dance? How bad is it? Can you please paint me a mental picture? I've seen a few HD10U clips on this site, and they don't look that bad to me. If the HD10U shoots 720P, then doesn't that mean most people would have to watch the downconverted versions of my work? (Given that most HDTV sets support 1080i, but not 720P) Please correct me if I am wrong. Anyway, is the HD10U a good choice for wedding video jobs? Thanks.
Old March 4th, 2006, 04:53 AM   #17
Inner Circle

JVC's minimum illumination rating on the HD10U is 35 lux (most consumer cameras are rated much better for minimum illumination). It does need good lighting. With good lighting, you can get a very nice image. It could be pretty rough for shooting a reception, unless the reception is held in a well lit facility. The HD10U would generally be a poor choice for weddings. Try putting sunglasses in front of the lens of a run of the mill consumer camcorder, shoot some footage in your living room (at night) with just a couple lights on, and you'll have some idea what to expect.
Old March 4th, 2006, 04:59 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Hd10

I have shot wedding's with the JVC HD10. For the darker portions (ie reception, Speeches, Dances) you have to have lighting. If you don't you really won't be happy with your results. For the reception I use a small light kit with a small soft box and dimmer. It isn't intrusive and will give you enough light for the result you need. I couldn't imagine doing it without the light. Here's the thing.. if you get a really dark church you could be in for a bumpy ride because you won't be able to use any lighting. I guess what I'm trying to say is the HD10 is not your first choice when it comes to low light shots. I've been pretty happy with the results I've been able to get. You just have to work for it abit more then most cameras.
Hope that helps.
Old March 4th, 2006, 01:42 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin McMillan
You just have to work for it abit more then most cameras.
It's not a point and shoot, to be sure.
Old March 4th, 2006, 08:47 PM   #20
Trustee

The GR-HD1 low light footage while dark, at least manages not to be grainy.
Old March 5th, 2006, 01:28 AM   #21
Inner Circle

I've boosted brightness, in post, of footage shot with my HD10U under not even all that poor lighting, and saw much more grain (and horrid banding) then I care for (unacceptable, at least to me). Leaving it dark, is well, just dark (not acceptable either, again at least to me).
Old March 7th, 2006, 01:02 PM   #22
Major Player

Jason,

You commented that most HDTV sets support 1080i. ALL HDTV sets in US support BOTH 1080i and 720p. CRT CAN be 1080i native. All other (and newer type) displays are native progressive.

Just trying to clarify.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U