HD10U for documentary at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old September 15th, 2006, 11:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HD10U for documentary

Hi there,

I would appreciate if somebody could describe his-her own experience with this camera when used for a documentary project. I will rent the camera for test soon but if i have some user experience also it would be interesting for me.

I've just talk with a JVC representative/dealer and he was honest enough to specify the importance of doing slow movement with the camera (film style) first, because the camera is shooting progressive (30p not 24p, i know) and secundly, because it's HD...

Anybody has been using this camera and 720/30p for documentary with good result ? And how good/bad the camera is in DV mode (480/60i) ?

Thank a lot for the comment,

Philippe
Old September 15th, 2006, 02:52 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I think you will have two major problems:

1. This camera does not offer manual audio level adjustment.

2. The camera does not allow to fix the shutter speed and to do exposure adjustment at the same time. And no manual control. So either you let the camera control it automatically - and now you never know if it's using 1/50 or 1/500 or whatever shutter speed (with the risc of having the motion appearance changing here and then). Or you do fix the shutter speed to 1/50 but then you are stucked with whatever your image will look like: maybe too dark, maybe too bright, maybe alright.

It is a really great camera valuing the picture quality, but it has some serious downsides.

Marco
Old September 15th, 2006, 06:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

ok

Hi Marco,

Thank for your comments... It seem that i will have to look for another model anyway since the B stock deal just finish today at JVC usa (the day i took the plunge !) Unless someone here have one to sell ?

Thank again,

Philippe
Old September 16th, 2006, 12:37 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Ba
either you let the camera control it automatically - and now you never know if it's using 1/50 or 1/500 or whatever shutter speed (with the risc of having the motion appearance changing here and then). Or you do fix the shutter speed to 1/50 but then you are stucked with whatever your image will look like: maybe too dark, maybe too bright, maybe alright.
Marco
You can see what the shutter speed is by pressing the S/A button. It will show the Fstop and shutter speed. Do not stop for more then one second or it will switch into that setting loosing the exposure lock. The point is you can check what you shutter speed is at any time in Exposure lock mode or not. If there are durastic lighting changes, then true, the shutter can flux, but that isn't the norm for a locked down shot with static lighting. I would suggest ND filters or variable polorizers to bring the light down if the shutter is too high. More likely the shutter will settle at 1/30th or 1/60th unless lighting is extreem. If not add more filtration. Try to hit a F5.6 and you will get a good shutter speed then lock exposure. The other option is to lock the shutter, then apply filtration untill the exposure does not pump. I would highly recommend an external monitor. A small tv will work fine using RCA or Svideo out of the cam, or better yet HDVrack with a laptop. It is the only real way to observe the exposure properly. The LCD isn't good enough unless you know the cam like the back of your hand and know what the cam is doing regardless of what you see.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 10:48 AM   #5
Tourist

Controls

Hi,
I purchased a new HD10u a few months ago, and have ised for some field work. I have read almost every threadon this forum and Iīm very aware of the manual control limitations. From my few experience now with the camera, Iīve found easier to manupulate the "exposure" control and lock it to what I expect to be good exposure and let the camera set the shutter and iris automatically. I just found this easier, but I donīt know if itīs the right way togo since if I set shutter to 1/60 for example I canīt control exposure. The first thing I did though, attending to advise from this forum, was buy a ND filter to try to force open iris if I wanted a narrowe depth of field, but I donīt know if shutter speed is also affected and then the iris remain unchanged. How does the camera decide what to change, iris or shutter, and what other trick do you have to try to control settings?... Thanx a lot.

By the way I really love the results, the image, colors and contrast and the beautiful 30p image. Really cool cam.
Old September 23rd, 2006, 04:06 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier Agudo
Hi,
but I donīt know if shutter speed is also affected and then the iris remain unchanged.
read my post above. You simply have to check to see if it was affected.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U