Behringer 802 Mixer -> HD10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old October 9th, 2006, 11:40 AM   #1
Tourist

Behringer 802 Mixer -> HD10

What additional cables / equipment do I need to get the output from a Behringer 802 to the HD10? I thought I had everything, but when I connect it all up, I get an evil hissing. I'm thinking this is because the mixer is sending the audio over at line-level, not mic-level. Is that correct? Is there a simple way to go from line-level to mic-level? Do I need something like the Samson S-convert, or the Ebtech Line Level Shifter (http://www.ebtechaudio.com/lls-2des.html). Will something as simple as an attenuating cable from RadioShack do the trick?

And lastly, an open call for any suggestions of what to do better. I'm using two mics right now, both have non-XLR connections. The point of all of this is to setup multiple mics at a wedding or similar event, and be able to mix them according to the volume of the sound source being mic'd.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!
--Mike
Old October 15th, 2006, 09:00 PM   #2
New Boot

audio for jvc-hd10

mike,

mic preamps and line level are not compatible. mic preamps are meant to grab a signal from devices that do not have their own power source (i.e. microphone, guitar, etc.). whereas line level is used to send a signal between two devices that each have their own power sources. when you use a mic preamp to grab a signal from a line level output, your are essentially powering a powered signal. it will definitely cause a tremendous amount of static and hissing like you're describing. your behringer mixer only has line level outputs and your hd10 inputs can not be switched to line level.

my suggestion, in regards to your hd10, is to buy XLR adapters for your mics and plug them directly in to your hd10. they're not expensive and should be available at radio shack for less than $10. you don't need a line level converter. your mixer is not needed and only adds more variables to your production (not to mention more to keep track of!). i understand your desire to adjust the volume in the field, but i'm pretty sure your hd10 uses a built-in automatic volume adjusting circuit that renders your external mixer useless. as you adjust the mixer, the cameras circuit will adjust to compensate and untilmately it decides over you. and, ultimately, it's better to use as few mic preamps per channel as possible.

i hope this helps.
Old October 16th, 2006, 01:22 AM   #3
Regular Crew

>> but i'm pretty sure your hd10 uses a built-in automatic volume

Yes, it does. It's one of the downsides of the PD1, HD1, HD10 series: Only automatic volume control.

Marco
Old October 16th, 2006, 09:45 AM   #4
Tourist

Thanks guys!

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like if I want to have 100% control over the audio I'll have to figure out how to send the sound to another device... or just learn to deal with the shortcomings of the camera. :)

Thanks again for the details!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U