Can the HD1 read HD100 tapes? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old February 14th, 2007, 07:55 PM   #1
Major Player

Can the HD1 read HD100 tapes?

Hi,

I have an HD-100 and I am thinking about purchasing a used HD1 or HD10.

I understand the color sampling of the HD100 is 4:2:0, while the HD1/10 uses 4:1:1

The question is, will the HD1/10 playback my HD100 tapes? I would like this camera to double as a capture deck so I can save some wear & tear on the HD100.
Old February 15th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #2
Trustee

You understand wrong. All of the JVC HDV cams are 720p 4:2:0. In fact all HDV cams are 4:2:0. Nothing else.
As far as will it work as a deck? Not sure. I have read early reports of 24p playback from a HD1/10 but it would not display on the LCD, but would capture with a few quirks. As far as 30p, I'm not sure. I would think it should, but I have no definitive answer. Hopefully someone will chime in. If not try a post in the HD100/200/250 forum asking if anyone has tried this.
Old March 6th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #3
Major Player

it worked for me

...but the second time around i tried it, it was kinda glitchy. The hd1 would not decode the video to display on the lcd, but it would show up on the premiere capture window. and it was 24p video... haven't tried with 30p video, but I'd imagine it would work no problem...
Old March 21st, 2007, 11:19 PM   #4
Major Player

Im guessing the answer would be yes, but you need a firm answer.

My guess is yes because I know the HD1 will generally act as a recorder. I have used mine to act as a capture device when printing to tape for 1080i and 24P productions.

However, I have tried tapes recorded in Canon camcorders and it works very poorly for playback.

I can say with certainty that it will not play back a GL-2 tape and you will be sorry you tried especially when it's the raw footage of the wedding you just shot! Playing back GL-2 recorded tapes will wack out the tape where it won't play back correctly on either one.
Old April 5th, 2007, 02:44 PM   #5
Major Player

OK, so I've figured it out, with one of two possibilities. I installed Microsoft .net framework 2.0 on my computer, and Sony Vegas 7.0

One of those two seem to have done the trick, because now I can use my HD1 to capture 720p24 video from my HD110 on both Premiere Pro 2.0 and Sony Vegas 7.0. So if .net framework doesn't do the trick it must be some component from Vegas 7 which helps out with both apps.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U