This is interesting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old April 20th, 2003, 08:11 PM   #1
Outer Circle

This is interesting

Joseph George wrote this at dv.com, and here I see:

Hey guys, I?ve been posting latest HD news under different names. I was actually hired to stir up controversy around certain product and then around HD to boost overall awareness and break prejudices. While out of town, without notes on my screen names/passwords, my girlfriend and I posted some of the stuff I wrote (or dictated) under different names.

I attempted to get rid of some of the misinformation -- that there is no need to shoot in HD, that SD will be with us for a very long time and that SD content is not dated. That misinformation makes you buy SD now, only to have to replace it later with HD.

HDTV set prices will continue to be rapidly dropping; there will be more and more HD broadcast on cable; many HD DVD titles will become available at your local Blockbusters within a year; you?ll soon be able to author HD DVDs. The days of SD are numbered. The manufacturers need this to happen. Great majority of them are losing money, but all have veryhealthy margins on HD products.

To increase longevity of the content you produce, you should make every attempt to do so in HD. If you can?t, do it at least in the highest resolution that you can (cameras with native 16:9 CCDs, progressive scan, 4:2:2, etc.).

There is new display technology that will be introduced in about a year that will bring the cost of flat screens significantly down. (Sony holds the most patents on it.)

From now on I will be posting only under my name but as of now I?m no longer involved with this project so my posts will only be personal and will be infrequent.

Hired by JVC? So, I kind of figured this, no, maybe it's a joke, but I'm curious, is Joseph George this fellow's real name?
Old April 20th, 2003, 10:33 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Could it be that Joseph didn't actually write that, but someone else pretending to be him did? Just wondering... I would like to hear from Joseph George about this himself. Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old April 21st, 2003, 09:42 PM   #3
Permanently Banned

I was actually hired by a PR firm that extensively questioned me on my overall knowledge, brand preferences and opinions on certain products. I had to sign NDA. I can only tell you that I was honest in my posts, which, by the way, was also one of the PR company requirements. It was a one-shot deal that ended. I was not even told whom they represent, but that was obvious to me. I never worked in PR, marketing, etc. My background is in education, film and TV.
Old April 21st, 2003, 09:58 PM   #4
Outer Circle

Thanks. Actually, many of the DV.com regulars have long been convinced than many "PR" people continuously bombard that forum and others. Personally, I view these phooey posts as shameless plugs that steal space from the forum owners, and anger regular members. At least you've admitted your purpose. Now we welcome you as a regular! How's that?
Old April 21st, 2003, 10:14 PM   #5
Outer Circle

But then on second thought..., I just read this from Bruce A Johnson on a duplicate thread:

This particular Joseph George has only been a member for 24 hours, so I suspect all of our legs are being pulled to some extent. As to people pimping products under pseudonyms, what does it matter? I sense this forum has members with very finely-tuned BS detectors. The truth will come out eventually...it usuallly does.

BAJ
Old April 22nd, 2003, 03:39 PM   #6
MPS Digital Studios

The last part of Frank's post (see below), reminds me of how film studios will post up reviews of their movies while pretending to be regular test audiences or sneak preview audiences. They aren't usually caught, but Sony got in a lot of trouble 2 years ago over a fake critic and Sony marketing people in Sony movie ads saying they're audience members who loved it. One South Florida family tried suing over the awful THE ANIMAL, saying the fake ads and review duped them into going to see it. They dropped the stupid lawsuit.

So, this doesn't suprise me at all; I can't wait to get my hands on the equipment!

heath
www.mpsdigital.com

<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Granovski : As to people pimping products under pseudonyms, what does it matter? I sense this forum has members with very finely-tuned BS detectors. The truth will come out eventually...it usuallly does.

BAJ -->>>
Old May 10th, 2003, 08:39 PM   #7
Permanently Banned

Question: Mr George did you switch your camps? It looks like you're employed by Sony or their marketing people this week.

I never worked for JVC but was hired by a PR firm that worked with a company that was going to do modifications to this camcorder. Those plans ended when they found out of the poor low light sensitivity of the JVC. So they cancel having the camera air shipped from Japan. Then, after everything was cancelled came news of the washed out colors and of a planned blu-ray HD DVD camcorder by a competitor.

Do I work for Sony now? Never worked for any manufacturer. But I may be working for the Cuban Inteligence, Columbian Mafia, or I may just be secretly on this site's payroll and they have been hypnotized by the CIA so their conscious minds will never find out where is that 5K disappearing each month.

No guys, I don't work for any equipment supplier and at that time I was just paid to voice my own opinion, which was at that time positive, on the JVC HD, MPEG2 HD, etc.
Old May 10th, 2003, 09:53 PM   #8
Outer Circle

"But I may be working for the Cuban Inteligence, Columbian Mafia, or I may just be secretly on this site's payroll and they have been hypnotized by the CIA so their conscious minds will never find out where is that 5K disappearing each month."

You gotta quit watching that TV! :)
Old May 17th, 2003, 02:27 PM   #9
Rextilleon

Chris, I have to be frank. Why are guys like George and Mullen given such a wide berth----It's so obvious to most of us what they are doing.
Old May 17th, 2003, 05:04 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

David

Steve Mullen is a well-known and respected writer for Video Systems magazine, and I have really enjoyed his portfolio of articles in that printed publication for several years. I've met him in person at trade shows off and on for the past couple years. While speaking to him about the new JVC Mini-HD cams at the New York DV Show in February, I approached him about moderating this forum. So that's the story there.

I do not know Joseph George in person, and this is as good a time as any to tell everyone now that all of his posts prior to "coming out" as being hired by a PR firm are most likely going into one single locked thread for archival purposes, with an explanation at the top regarding the motivation behind them. Hope this helps,

Old May 17th, 2003, 05:14 PM   #11
Wrangler

Seems like Steve was coming down a little hard on Jacques in this thread http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=9695
Old May 17th, 2003, 05:24 PM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

I have addressed that also. Sometimes, it's hard to translate a New York attitude to a text-based discussion forum. There was no ill intent, only an abrupt response. We all need to take the time to be a little more friendly to each other.

As for myself, I come from a mid-western upbringing, where everybody talks slower, drives slower, and waves at each other. Despite the fact that this is a world-wide membership, I was hoping to impart some of that value system upon this place. I realize that can be a foreign concept to a lot of people... different strokes for different folks, as they say.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U