Diamonds on video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old June 10th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #1
Major Player

Diamonds on video

I am wondering, if this would fall under the jvc service issue that has been posted. It is showing this tendency whenever as in this picture the camera is pointed towards the sky.

I am really upset and bummed about this. This is the second unit I have had in less than 3 weeks, and now I am looking at probably another few weeks if I and my friend have to send it to JVC for repair or replacement. That "is" if the imager is defective like the report.

If anyone has any input, i would be most appreciative... Also, I did clean the main lens and there are no scratches or marks on it, so that isn't the issue.. I once again, thank anyone..

Damon
Attached Thumbnails
Diamonds on video-jvc-diamonds-pic.jpg   Diamonds on video-jvc-diamonds-pic-2.jpg  

Old June 10th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Damon,

Judging by the same position in both samples I'd say that your CCD image sensor somehow got dirty. Did this just happen? Should show up on any lighter solid colored object so I'm confused by your saying it has a tendency to show up.

I'd say it needs cleaning but I'm confused since you tested the camera after you received it, didn't mention the problem then, and it's a sealed camera. If it were a D-SLR that you were changing the lenses in a dusty environment I could see it but not with a GR-HD1. Weird.

As for the service issue, this doesn't sound like it (but I've been wrong before):

"JVC has received reports that in certain circumstances, this model (GR-HD1US) may, while in the camera mode, show no picture, a distorted picture and/or display “LENS CAP” even though the lens cap is removed. We have identified the probable cause as a failure of the CCD image sensor."

http://www.jvcservice.com/service/cu...sp?ReqType=CCD

Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Old June 10th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Dave, yes, it is weird... And yes, it just showed up, or at least it just became noticeable. And it is happening on both mine and my friends units. Maybe it was a thing that it was there all along(unlikely) and we never noticed it, as the footage I took was outside this weekend and in a very bright envoirnment(it was a really nice two days). And yes, the ccd either being dirty or damaged(I thought damaged since when zoomed in and now, the little dots are perfect little squares and not say smudges) was what I thought, but we were and are both scratching our heads as to how it can happen on two cameras with non removeable lenses also..

Its very disturbing to me to be honest. And I am going to contact JVC tomorrow on the matter... But I will let you know for sure... It is just very disheartening...

Damon
Old June 11th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Gaskin View Post
Hi Dave, yes, it is weird... And yes, it just showed up, or at least it just became noticeable. And it is happening on both mine and my friends units.
That's very strange. Happening to one is odd, two is darn incredible. Were you both shooting someplace odd? Radioactive? Grabbed by aliens? :-)

If it's dirty sensors, that's a lot of dirt. They seem to be different densities, too.

Quote:
the ccd either being dirty or damaged(I thought damaged since when zoomed in and now, the little dots are perfect little squares and not say smudges) was what I thought, but we were and are both scratching our heads as to how it can happen on two cameras with non removeable lenses also..
Wild. Keep us informed.
Old June 11th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #5
Trustee

Two cams with the same prob aims towards something that you both we doing, perhaps together. Shot directly into the sun? Placed cams near strong magnetic or electrical device? Subjected cams to extreem heat/cold (left them in a hot car)?
Are your cams very close in serial #? Maybe they are from a same bad batch.
Old June 11th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #6
Major Player

Well, we were shooting radio control helicopters flying. Something I have done countless times with my little and inexpensive TRV19.

And to be honest, we are both just tired of these cameras. These will be three in less than three weeks or should I say a month. We have sent for RMA's for them and I think we are going to go with the FX7's. She is going to get hers now, and I am getting mine in a few weeks. It just isn't reliable for us, and the negative experience. We both are just sort of burned out and tired... We will try the FX's and hopefully have better sucess... I will let you guys know in the next week...

We really are bummed about having to send them back and its kinda quiet around here today.. But you have to do what you have to.. Neither of us can see waiting 3 weeks for jvc to repair units we haven't had for a month.... So an additional amt of cash it is... Thanks for all the assistance though guys..

Damon
Old June 11th, 2007, 07:26 PM   #7
Major Player

Well, I was going to ask about filters, f/stops, etc. but you're returning them. Good luck with the FX7's!
Old June 13th, 2007, 12:34 AM   #8
Trustee

Ya that is some bad luck, or these last batches of HD1's JVC decided to skip quality control and get them out the door.
Old June 13th, 2007, 08:02 AM   #9
Major Player

Im not sure to be honest.. But it could just be my s*****y luck! But I know they gave my friend a very hard time about giving a RMA number for hers. Such a hard time that she was in tears about it. Mine, the guy I spoke with was really nice and after I explained the situation and how many we have had in this short period of time, he said he was sorry for the experience both she and I had and immediately issued the number and label for me.

JVC also was dissapointing because when I called them the young lady I spoke with tried to push the HD7 on me pretty much. She was saying the 3 CCD blah, blah, but when I immediately told her that I knew the imagers were smaller she stopped dead in her tracks. She then was the one that indic and advised to send them back for a refund.

It was bittersweet sending them back to be honest, because though I know the FX7 has a ton more features on it, I do like the 720p look of the video(when it wasn't full of squares... LOL) and with that camera.. I is just too bad about the experience...

Damon
Old June 14th, 2007, 11:32 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Gaskin View Post
Im not sure to be honest.. But it could just be my s*****y luck! But I know they gave my friend a very hard time about giving a RMA number for hers. Such a hard time that she was in tears about it. Mine, the guy I spoke with was really nice and after I explained the situation and how many we have had in this short period of time, he said he was sorry for the experience both she and I had and immediately issued the number and label for me.
With B&H it depends on who you speak to. Some seem to like to argue with you. Since the return on video cameras there is 7-days and your original date of purchase was beyond that I can see a slight reluctance on their part. Glad it was taken care of those.

Quote:
JVC also was dissapointing because when I called them the young lady I spoke with tried to push the HD7 on me pretty much.
Yeah, they can be funny. Again, depends on who you speak to. One person I'd spoken with was very unhelpful, yet another was amazingly helpful -- I think he said he shoots video as a hobby. The GR-HD1 is off their radar and they don't seem to like to discuss older products, which I can understand to an extent since they no longer sell them.

Hope you have a terrific time with the FX7's. My GR-HD1U is working just fine for me. I looked at several others before I bought it, Sony A1U, JVC HD7, et al. I really like this camera even though it's a hair overkill for my immediate needs but I'll grow into it. If I had it to do all over it again I would, just sooner...maybe in 2003. :-)

Good luck!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U