Archiving old tapes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old May 14th, 2003, 04:56 PM   #1
Major Player

Archiving old tapes

Does anyone know if people are using the JVC DH30000 hi-def deck to archive old analog tapes? I ask because I've got alot of old 1", 3/4"SP and hi-8mm tape as well as DV tapes spanning nearly 20 years of production. I would archive on DVD but the artifacts bug me too much (like on rolling credits). Given that this JVC deck is something like $500 and that it's an integral part of the HD10 scheme, maybe it would make sense to dump my tapes onto D-VHS since I'm planning on using the HD10 to enter low cost HD production anyways. Yes? No?
Old May 19th, 2003, 08:53 PM   #2
Permanently Banned

My opinion is that DVHS and HD DV will soon lose ground to blu-ray HD DVD. It is a cartridge mounted optical format, something like the mini disc. That would allow you the safest and most reliable archiving. It uses MPEG2 compression and does have higher transfer rate than the 2 JVC formats. Or you could store to the MPEG-IMX optical SD format with some 50 Mbps transfer rate. The IMX optical stuff should be available soon. Sony is also coming out with another storage format, also based on the blu-ray system. I think that it uses 36 Mbps stream.
Old May 19th, 2003, 10:31 PM   #3
Major Player

"How soon" will depend on how soon the blu-ray HD DVD recorder's price Significantly goes down from its current Tokyo street price of JPY398,000.00
Old May 20th, 2003, 01:48 AM   #4
Permanently Banned

Neither DVHS nor HD DV made any dent in the market, and they will not, because the optical format is better; the blu laser formats will definitely dominate the future; the initial lasers that Sony is using are expensive, but new, less expensive ones are already being mass produced. By Christmas we'll see real price breakthroughs.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U