JVC delivers again! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 30th, 2007, 10:41 AM   #1
Tourist

JVC delivers again!

Just want to mention how much i love JVC cameras. Only JVC could give me images like this:

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_clos...php?id=3757040

The camera stayed in a vertical position all day in a very hot room and worked like a dream. (blasting the AC to keep cool helps too)
Ben Pohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:46 AM   #2
Space Hipster

Wow! Freakin' wow!
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:56 AM   #3
Major Player

awsome ! i'm more+more impressedwith the jvc cams.
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 11:31 AM   #4
Major Player

Just a side note, iStockPhoto/Video is an enormous ripoff. To see why, tell me how much time you spent getting that footage. Now for how much money you are ever going to make off that clip, how does that break down per hour? How much does that compare to how much you would have made off that video if you'd been commissioned to shoot it?

Another great thing is if someone wants to use your footage in a multi-million dollar national ad campaign, he pays 30 bucks, same as anybody else, and you get just 20% of that. Your footage could be all over the airwaves and you've made a grand total of 6 bucks. It's criminal.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 11:54 AM   #5
Trustee

On the other hand, if you were selling extra b-roll, or subject matter that was just never included in the project you shot it for, $6 is better than nothing.
Old July 30th, 2007, 12:44 PM   #6
Major Player

There are many many stock agencies out there where your B-roll can earn you a lot closer to what it's actually worth. Selling yourself out for less than you're worth just because it's "better than nothing" is a very dangerous attitude.
Old July 30th, 2007, 03:16 PM   #7
Major Player

How did you do it Ben?
Is it smoke thru a colored filter?
Congrat., it looks great.
Eugen
Eugen Oprina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #8
Trustee

Ben, footage really looked good. BTW determining how one sells their footage is a personal choice not really subject to the opinion of others. Even if given away for free I would not consider that dangerous.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #9
Major Player

It's not just about your personal choice for how to distribute your images, it's how they affect the entire market for those types of images. It's dangerous because if you give your work away for cheap now, that's the value you've established for yourself, and it is very, very hard to raise that value once you realize that you can't make a living or even pay for your equipment.
Old July 30th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #10
Trustee

Somewhat true. However, it is still a matter of choice. I have given away countless hours and $$$ of footage for projects I consider to be worthy causes. Has that hurt my income? Sure. But did it make me feel good? You bet. And not to mention the unanticipated side benefit of the referrals that I have recieved. Anyway, sorry I have gotten so far off track from the original post.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems