Rebate status at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:30 PM   #1
Major Player

Rebate status

Where can I check my HD-110's AB battery system's rebate status? I remember I checked the status last year on my first HD100 somewhere on JVC's website.
Somebody can show me the link?

Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 05:08 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Laszlo,

I looked at that rebate that is going on currently and it doesn't seem to apply to us Canadians. I printed the form out and it seems like you have to purchase from a valid US dealer and have a valid US address to receive the free package.

Can you let me know if I am wrong or how you got around it? This is one of the things holding me back from purchasing currently as I am trying to figure out a way around it.

Julian
Julian Maytum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Anyone else in Canada know if we are eligible because if so, I want to order this thing right away :)

Julian
Old August 5th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #4
Major Player

Hello
If you have a friend you can trust in the states why not have them order it for you

just a idea
Joe
Joseph A. Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph A. Benoit View Post
Hello
If you have a friend you can trust in the states why not have them order it for you

just a idea
Joe
That's what I am pondering doing right now actually. Gotta call B&H tomorrow as they have a "demo used" on for a decent price I may snap up if I can get the rebate for the battery etc.

Julian
Old August 6th, 2007, 07:35 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Julian
You are right, you do need the A/b batt sys'

When i bought my 110 from B&H i got the rebate on the IDX batt sys

it took about 2wks to recieve it but it worked out great. the stock battery that comes with camera last about 35 mins. i ordered an extra battery
now i can shoot up to 5 hrs. the A/B battery sys is also a great sys

Good Luck

Joe
Old August 7th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #7
Major Player

Hold up, there's a rebate?! I reccently (2-3 months ago) purchased 2 IDX batteries and mounting kit from Tapeworks Texas... Sadly, after I bought my 110, I found out JVC was had deal going on where you could buy the 110 and get a free battery. So... Is it possible for me to get rembursed?
Old August 7th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Doug

that rebate for the IDX sys ( Charger kit and 1 endura 7s Battery) Value $1100.00. i bought my 110 in march of this year from B&H I think after the IDX promo they are now doing a rebate on the A/B sys.
When did you Buy your camera and from who

Joe
Old August 9th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #9
Major Player

I bought my camcorder in december, had a dead pixel, then they gave me another like... a month later. I bought it from express cameras (not certified, said they were, turned out they're not) What is the A/B system? I'm not sure if I have that. I have 2 idx endura batteries, duel charger, and kit. I'm hoping I can get a rebate, because I just got-- unlucky.
Old August 9th, 2007, 07:27 PM   #10
Major Player

Hello
the A/B sys is a Anton/Bauer trimpac battery system.
Joe
Old August 10th, 2007, 08:32 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Jvc

I am a bit ticked off at the moment as for some reason, we in Canada seem to be treated as second class citizens by this company.

Nothing on the JVC Canada web site about any rebates available to us. I sent an email and left voice mail but nothing in reply as of yet. I also called the lady (Mary something or other) who is in charge of the rebates in the U.S. and she hasn't returned my calls either (I left her a message last Friday and again on Wednesday).

Its bad enough that Canadian dealers want (on average) $3000 (yes three thousand!) dollars more for the same camera than U.S. dealers (hello, the dollar is worth close to 96 cents U.S.); that and it doesn't *appear* that we are entitled to the same deals as our American cousins, but to be completely ignored is kind of leaving me wondering about JVC.

I owned a DV-500 for years and luckily never had a problem with the camera or needed to contact JVC at all.

Excuse my mini rant but it is quite frustrating :P

Julian
Old August 10th, 2007, 11:43 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Finally reached a guy at JVC Canada Pro section who told me that he doesn't know why the prices are that much higher in Canada and gave me a number for "an awesome JVC dealer, who will get you a great price". Called that dealer and they tried to sell me a Panasonic HVX 200 instead saying it was a way better camera and I shouldn't bother with the JVC. Way to recommend the wrong person hah! I told him I was set on the 110 and he is supposed to be emailing me with a price later today.

He also told me that the deal (AB Battery kit) is in Canada too but you have to buy the camera from a Canadian dealer and there is no wait time as here they give you the kit when you buy your camera. This would be a good thing if they can get a decent price. If I buy the camera from the states, neither JVC US or JVC Canada will give me the free kit. Pathetic really.

I told him I was looking at B&H if I couldn't find a Canadian dealer that didn't totally gouge and he began to say what an awful place that was. I told him I had bought thousands of dollars worth of stuff from them over the years and never had a problem but he still said they were a crap place to buy from.

I should just fly to NY and buy the darn thing from B&H and still come out ahead of the game. Crazy really.

Any other Canucks have any comments or suggestions?

Julian
Old August 10th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Maytum View Post
Any other Canucks have any comments or suggestions?
With the rapidly climbing Canadian dollar (compared to the U.S. dollar) you would expect prices between the U.S. and Canada to start to equalize, and I'm sure they will eventually. However, you have to remember that JVC is a Japanese company and the Canadian cameras are not imported from the U.S. They come from Japan just the way the U.S. cameras do so you really need to start looking at CAN$ vs Yen and US$ vs Yen to see the whole picture of how things are priced.

The other thing is that the markets are entirely different. The U.S. has 10 times the population, with major markets spread throughout the country, which is healthy for competition. We only have 3-4 major markets spread across the 2nd largest country in the world. The level of demand is completely different which probably affects the marketing programs (rebates/bundles) and the amount of dealers (only about 12 across the country.)

So why wouldn't every Canadian just buy gray market camera from the U.S.?
I've heard of lots of people who live close to the border who do, but there is a certain amount of risk involved if you ever have a service issue.
My dealer just told me the other day he heard about a guy who bought a U.S. camera, got it home, fried the firewire port, but couldn't get it serviced for free in Canada. It would have been free if he had the Canadian warranty.
Also, there is a strong possibility you will get hit with duties, taxes and UPS brokerage fees if you mail it directly to your Canadian address, not to mention extra shipping costs. Even if you have it sent to a U.S. address you legally need to declare it when you cross the border and pay the applicable duties & taxes.
As I'm sure any accountant would tell you, if you are a business owner and have a GST number (or HST) it is beneficial to always buy Canadian because you get the tax back through input tax credits.
I'm not necessarily saying that it would all even out in the end... you may still save a hundred dollars or more in the end. You just have to ask yourself what kind of support you are going to get from your local JVC service people once they realize you have a U.S. model. Is it going to cost you more in the end to get the type of support that would be free with a Canadian warranty, and will it be worth the hassle?

I'm hoping that other types of products imported from the U.S. will start to catch up on the exchange rate soon. For example, the fixed prices found on magazines and books still seem to represent a time when the Canadian dollar was at $0.65! Considering many financial analysts are predicting the Canadian dollar will be at par with or exceed the U.S. dollar within the year let's hope we start seeing retailers catch up soon.

BTW, JVC Canada has had plenty of rebate and bundle incentives in the past that equal or exceed the value of the U.S. counterparts. You just have to ask your local dealer because they are not marketed on the website.
Old August 11th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #14
New Boot

That was a great post Tim. I'm still pretty new to buying this level of equipment (I purchased my GY-HD110 in December 2006), and I found your comments really insightful.

I actually bought my camera from B&H in a package including an Anton Bauer Battery kit and carrying case, plus a free IDX battery kit as a JVC promotion. I'm actually trading the IDX kit for another AB kit with a forum member. In the end, after all duties, everything I got cost me slightly less than buying just the camera at Vistek in Toronto.

If I had been able to find a similar free battery kit deal here, I probably would have bought Canadian. It's just that I'm not really making money off of this equipment yet (entering film school in a month), so every dollar counts.

I must admit, I'm incredibly careful with the camera because I've been told by JVC Canada that they won't service it with an American warranty.
Sean Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007, 12:18 PM   #15
Major Player

HI
i don't understand JVC is JVC why not cover warr. work
whether its Canada or US is there something diff. with the Cameras
who covers for the warr. work, is'nt it JVC

just a thought
Joe
Joseph A. Benoit is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems