A good second camera for the HD100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 8th, 2007, 10:12 AM   #1
Major Player

A good second camera for the HD100?

Hi,

I've been considering the benefits of having a second camera for a backup. I researched everything from the HD1/HD10's to the HV20's from Canon and the FX7's from Sony.

The conclusion is that the only suitable "B" camera is another HD100. The main reason being that I need all my accessories to work with the second camera i.e. IDX battery system, X-less XLR & camera light.

The problem is the high cost of another HD100.

What are you guys using for backup cameras?
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 11:38 AM   #2
Major Player

Scott,

I've ordered the HV20 to use as a chaep "b" camera to my HD 100a. It seems to me the only cheap HDV camera that has a similar look because it shoots 24p. I looked at the HD 7 and I was concerned about having to convert .tod files among the fact that on auto settings the colors really went very red plus no 24p at a $200 to $300 more cost.

I anticipate some definite drawbacks. Like: Need an audio adaptor for XLR, lens hood, and a good monitor for focus.

Overall, I'm a little concerned that it lacks the latitude of the HD 100. Seems everyone is rating it at ASA 120 w/o a lense adaptor vs. I rate HD 100a at asa 325. I'll have to see I far I can push the HV20.

But at $1100, I feel the HV20 is worth a try. After all that camera is already so popular that if I can't make it work I know I would have no problem selling it.

I'll let you know how it works next week.

Cheers.
Old August 8th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #3
Major Player

The other consideration is editing software.

I'm on FCP5, so I don't have the open timeline to mix & match footage. Not that I think it would look that good mixing 720p & 1080i footage but I would need the $500 upgrade if I went that route.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems