Problems with White Ballance in high altitude at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 21st, 2007, 07:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Problems with White Ballance in high altitude

I have recently observed a problem with white ballance (HD200) when I spent a few days in the swiss Alps at an altitude of +2000m. In the morning at 10:00 I ran white abllance, with deep blue sky - video in the eye-piece and on the monitor were o.k.

In the early afternoon (still deep blue sky), I observed a color shift. All the green meadows were yellow to brown on the monitor and in the eye-piece. I re-ran the white ballance with no other result. Switching to "Full Auto" also does not deliver correct green colors of the meadows.

I had to color correct all scenes in post. I assume, that the ultra-violett part of the light caused the problems, even when I have a UV-filter permanently attached to the lens. It may disturb the white ballancing process, and hence all colors are shifted to yellow/red.

Does anyone else ever has observed such a problem? Is there an alternative available for correct vido colors?

Joachim
Joachim Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 09:41 AM   #2

I live in Santa Fe, altitude around 7000 ft(sorry, not metricated yet). I occasionally go up to about 10k ft for filming in the high country. A polarizer filter may help you out, altho', it's quite natural to observe a color temp shift from morning to afternoon. In the very early morning light is rather yellow, tending more to deep orange by sunset. I really don't think it's altitude as much as natural phenomena.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 09:47 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you Bill,
my point is, that in the afternoon sun white ballancing did not yield to a good result in color representation.
Joachim
Joachim Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2007, 11:23 AM   #4
New Boot

When I'm shooting outdoor scenic shots, I always leave my camera's white balance on preset outdoor (5600). My images look much more natural this way then if I attempt to manually white balance (especially during magic hour).
William Hess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 09:01 AM   #5

Jaochim...

A couple of things to think about..
If you're near a reflective, colored surface, like a colored wall, the light reflected off the wall will mislead the white balance setting on your camera. Also, you can try using white balance cards which will be more repeatable than trying to white balance to daylight.

I would recommend against using an automatic white balance setting. A fixed WB setting like 5600K is the best method, IMHO.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 05:52 PM   #6
Trustee

yes agreed, using 5600K proably would of been a fix. speaking of that UV filter what kind ? you know there are 2 types, basically mild and strong. the stronger filter has a very slight yellow or pink cast to it, the other is clear.

there is also a skylight filter which might of helped clean up excessive blue. A polarizer can also be a big help in removing blue from green leaves too making those colors pop more.

interesting thing about the camera, I've tried to cheat the WB a few times with some 1/2 CTB 1/2 across the lens, and the camera will still WB to the base color temp I was trying to get away from. the only thing that seems to work is fully covering the viewing area. used to be if you covered 1/2 the WB area on any other camera and you'd get 50% of having the filter in all the way.

I do dearly wish the camera had a 4300K and 6500K presets, or let you dial it in in 100k increments.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 05:32 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thank you Guys for your comments and proposals. Well, I will remember to set the camera to 5600K preset next time. I usually use manual whit ballance with a special refelcting card which I got with my Portabrace camera case.
Joachim
Joachim Claus is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems